Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you open up the brake calipers?

You sould open that bleeder bolt, to bring piston back, and then slide new brake pads.

clean everything well don't over grease and don't grease everywhere....if you don't understand my point just look at a new car, and take you own conclusion good luck on you brake job

You sould open that bleeder bolt, to bring piston back, and then slide new brake pads.

clean everything well don't over grease and don't grease everywhere....if you don't understand my point just look at a new car, and take you own conclusion good luck on you brake job

I disagree on opening the bleeder when retracting the caliper piston. That is unnecessary. Keep the bleeder closed when tracting the piston, will push the brake fluid back through the line to the m/c reservoir. The fluid level will rise slightly in the reservoir. If the reservoir is already filled to the max level, then remove the reservoir cap, and wrap a rag or paper towel around the reservoir to catch any over brake fluid flow.

The bleeder should be opened only when you want to drain dirty brake fluid from the system, and replenish with new. Otherwise, you make work for yourself at pad changing by having to bleed air out of the line.