Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird brake problem 95 leg awd

I replaced both rotors up front, pads, ball joints, wheel bearings and one caliper, car drove great for a month then grinding. I noticed a line down the middle of the rotor, so I bought the most expensive pads and rotors autozone would sell me, two days later the same thing, I waranteed them out and now a couple days later the same thing. It also feels warped, the caliper is not siezed and the line is down the middle of the rotor.

The grinding, is this caused because the new pads are wore down to the metal? Or is it grinding from some other cause? Is both sides doing this or just one?

Are you sure your new bearing hasn't failed? Check your bearing by lifting the tire off of ground and spinning it, while holding your hand on the coil spring. If the new bearing is bad you will feel virbation in the spring.

The pads are ceramic, and they look brand new except for where there is a little mark in the same place that there is a line on the rotor. I will have to check the bearings later this week. I have three non mobile cars in my garage right now. I noticed on the way home from school that it make a noise like its warped when I am driving slow and it stops when I press the brake pedal. One other thing that i did was delete the hill holder, not that it would effect this.

TOne other thing that i did was delete the hill holder, not that it would effect this.

it would if you "deleted" it incorrectly.

the return spring on my hill-holder failed years ago, and the result was the driver's side caliper would remain partially engaged. got the rotor red hot, and wore the pad.

i used a zip-tie to hold the mechansim in the off position, with no problems for at least 3 years.

I agree that there is a caliper problem. Either the caliper is bad, and not releasing, or like said, the hill holder is partially engaging the caliper on a continual basis.

Even with a new caliper, it could still be bad. Especially, if it is a rebuilt unit from Autozone.

I buy a good amount of stuff from Autozone, even though some of their rebuilt stuff sometime turns out to be junk. However, they always stand behind their product with a good lifetime warranty, and will replace what they sold you without hassle at no cost. I would take the caliper, rotor, and pads back for free replacement. Upon installation, make sure the hill holder mechanism is either made to work properly, or fully dismantled.

I don't think anything with bearings would be causing your problem.