Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine plug differences

Since the manifold gaskets carry coolant you NEED to buy them from the dealer. Aftermarket are little more than paper while the proper OEM version is twice as thick and has the composition of a head gasket (graphite, metal, etc). There is a gigantic quality difference.

As noted - distributor..... basically everything electronic has to be swapped - the exception is the oil pressure sending unit/idiot switch. You won't have to worry about that as long as it matches the car it's going into.

GD

Yep - the second one is for a '85/'86 engine. Completely incompatible manifold, etc. You will have to use the manifold for the '87 on your car.

GD

The manifold itself , throttle body, injectors and rails could all be used just by adding the 87 harness and sensors.

I think one the top one is an Late 87 engine. Hotwire Maf, Optical disty, etc..... But with the one year only square plug at hte engine, and round plug for the disty (not in picture)

Matthewboerner, I assume the above picture is your car's? Bassically you just need to match your existing electronics.

The upper picture of the plugs is what my 87 gl10 has for plugs and the lower picture is of the doner engine that I'm going to use the longblock from. The plan it to use the 87's intake and dist. and all the wiring and put it on the 85/86 longblock. My understanding is most of all of these parts are interchangable withe the exception of the obvious plug difference? -Matt