Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Securing an aftermarket radiator (97 Legacy GT Wagon)

I bought this radiator for my 97 Legacy GT Wagon:

http://www.radiatorspot.com/subaru/legacy/radiators.html?year=1997#MjQ0MzQ

Everything is great, but I'm unable to secure the radiator on the top like I could w/ the old radiator. This new radiator didn't come with a "radiator guard" on the top like the old one, and it doesn't have the fittings to fit the old "radiator guard" on top. So I'm thinking I shouldn't have bought this radiator, but I think I'll make it work by coming up with my own way to secure the radiator so it doesn't wobble at all.

Here are some pics to explain (blurry from my phone and at night since that's the only time I can work on my car out on the street since I live at an apt w/ no garage).

Without the metal clips that hold it in place:

20110201212454218.jpg

20110201212510389.jpg

With the metal clips that hold it in place:

2011020121255361.jpg

2011020121254192.jpg

Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Edited by dldunckel
Didn't state year/make/model

I had the same problem some time back. My problem was that the mounting holes did not match up. I secured using nylon cable ties. This worked just fine in securing the radiator tightly, but I wasn't proud of the red neck look. So, you might try this approach. It is important that the radiator be tightly secured, otherwise it can cause rattles, and the flexing can eventually cause the radiator to leak.

I had the same problem some time back. My problem was that the mounting holes did not match up. I secured using nylon cable ties. This worked just fine in securing the radiator tightly, but I wasn't proud of the red neck look. So, you might try this approach. It is important that the radiator be tightly secured, otherwise it can cause rattles, and the flexing can eventually cause the radiator to leak.

The radiator should not be secured straight to the chassis as this will cause it to flex WITH the chassis, which will eventually cause it to crack. There is a reason the stock mounting system uses rubber bushings.

The radiator should not be secured straight to the chassis as this will cause it to flex WITH the chassis, which will eventually cause it to crack. There is a reason the stock mounting system uses rubber bushings.

I agree with you, but like said, it was an aftermarket radiator added to an old Subie with 200+K miles on the odo. The holes just did not match up. However, I think the car will find its way to a wrecking yard before flexing with the chassis takes out the radiator due to cracking. It prolly would have been a good idea to wedge some rubber between radiator and chassis, before cinching together with cable ties.