Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so...still getting water from under the dash..cowl area maybe

I finally got around to getting the windshield and rear window resealed by a pro. He did an awesome job and i have yet to see any water coming in from there again. So..all windows are set now..but i found some water icing and dripping from under the dash basically in the heater box area. My question to those that have pulled apart the EA81s in that area is..is there a area that could back up and cause this problem? A gasket? Im just trying to find a simple solution to this other than the potential problem i think it really is.

When I had my Brat's windshield gasket replaced, I had the installer not use glue to hold in the seal, incase I ever broke a windshield I would be able to reuse it, it leaked for a while (the installer told me it would) and after the water between the window frame and the seal dried up it created a seal and stopped leaking. So if you didn't use glue to hold the seal in that could be a possibility. My wagon also leaks in that area I have yet to diagnose that...

When I had my Brat's windshield gasket replaced, I had the installer not use glue to hold in the seal, incase I ever broke a windshield I would be able to reuse it, it leaked for a while (the installer told me it would) and after the water between the window frame and the seal dried up it created a seal and stopped leaking. So if you didn't use glue to hold the seal in that could be a possibility. My wagon also leaks in that area I have yet to diagnose that...

He used glue between the body and gasket and gasket and window so i dont think thats the case. Its dripping in right behind the center console kinda to the right of the accelerator pedal. Only thing i can think of is the cowl area and i dont have the time to check on it until..idk the end of winter.

Its dripping in right behind the center console kinda to the right of the accelerator pedal. Only thing i can think of is the cowl area and i dont have the time to check on it until..idk the end of winter.

Only thing I can think of in that area is the shut-off for the heater supply.

But you should be smelling Anti-Freeze if it is leaking from the valve.

Fresh air intake for the Vent system is on the Driver's side, I believe. It has been awhile since I had a look under the cowl of an EA81, or an EA82 for that matter.

But I'm fairly sure both air intakes are off to the sides, and not directly in the center.

• 1 month later...

Ive been so busy with work that i havent had a chance to pull the dash and take a look back there. It doesnt seem to leak that bad anymore. I think i had an ice damning issue this winter with water backing up where it shouldnt. I still see a small drip here and there when it pours but otherwise it stays dry. Im going to pull the dash and poke around then if i cant find anything im going to pour an entire gallon of water into the cowl area and run around and look to see where (if at all) its coming in. I wanted to do it this weekend but got tied up doing other odds and ends. I will make sure to update this when i do find out where its coming from.

UPDATE! pulled the dash today and checked by pouring water in the cowl area from outside. Water is coming in. So went one step farther and took out the heater core and center air vent system. It was behind all that i found the rot starting. It is going to be a tough fix but i got no choice at this point. Gotta move forward.

• 2 months later...

Are the cowl screens down securely agaonst the window gasket? if water can get under the screen over by the driver's side, it can drip directly down into the air vent instake. If there is rust down inside the intake, it can allow water to drip through to the left of the steering wheel. If the windshied is well sealed and the water runs OVER the windshiled side of the screens, it shouldn't leak down in to the intake even if it is rusted down inside.

The screens have a foam seal around the windshiled side and if there is rust on the windshieled flange it can get under the screen. OR the foam is rotted away and doesn't seal.

Edited by viflyer