Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new wagon :D

True2Blue

Most of you know this wagon, its Austins old water wagon.

I haven't done much to it as of now but plans are made.

So far ive shampooed the interior with a heated shampooer ( looks nice and new )

Put a new Craftsman tool kit in it

New Rims and tires

BEFORE

DSCF0379.jpg

The Drfference

Swampers are 27x9.5R14

BFG M/T's are 215/75R15

Photo-0190.jpg

AFTER

DSCF0392-1.jpg

Coming soon

Shift Boot

STEREO! (stock works fine its just no match for a cherry bomb and mud terrains)

Bumpers

Spare tire mount on roof rack

Refoam the seats or get new more side supportive seats

New windshield

auto window mod/install

Xt6 clutch

Torque cams

Nice Exhaust

New CB radio

Radar dector

And off road lights

Edited by True2Blue

Nice suby but i always had a question regarding these. Does anybody ever bother putting a dual range in them or do they seem to do well enough with the single range awd?

Depends on what you're doin. Before I lifted my Outback I went up a nice steep hill slow because of ruts and what not and thankfully the tires slipped a little bit to get the revs back up because it was going to die. Tried to go up some other steep hills and stalled due to lack of speed and gearing but I didn't want to fly up the hill either. In my opinion it could really use at least a "low" gear (think granny) for the manuals but a true low range would be :clap::clap::clap:. And thats with the factory 4.11s and 205/70/15s. Now that I'm running 215/70/16s, I REALLY could use a low range, but would like to keep the full time and 4.11s so that means either S.O.L. or hunting Down Unda for one because Subaru Au still has (or at least had) the low range option available on new Subies. (4.11s going to be hard to find and the low range gearing isn't up to par depending on the trans. so needs a new gear set too)

this has a d/r :grin:

How does it do with the 3.9 in slow speeds with the tires in high range? That and how is the acceleration? I didn't loose much if any and would prefer to keep it that way.

Also, how bad do you rub and did you have to trim your fenders with the new nice arse tires?

Edited by newsoobdude

Zero rub except when pinned and thats on the lift blocks. It cruise's just fine it will chirp em in second gear.

I can go up hills in 4th without bogging and i can cruise I5 in 5th:banana:

I haven't seriously tested low yet but it does amazing in Seattle on those damn hills. For the very little mud i have hit it does perfect just powers through everything.

I didn't cut out any fenders or mud flaps with these new 28's

Ill take a few videos of it in low creeping around and just cruising

Refoam the seats or get new more side supportive seats

I may be selling a set of 03 WRX wagon seats soon, fronts and rears. They're very bolstered and I think they're a direct bolt in for your car, rears may not be but I'm not sure. They are dark blue. In great shape. Lemme know if you have any interest....

Depends on what you're doin. Before I lifted my Outback I went up a nice steep hill slow because of ruts and what not and thankfully the tires slipped a little bit to get the revs back up because it was going to die. Tried to go up some other steep hills and stalled due to lack of speed and gearing but I didn't want to fly up the hill either. In my opinion it could really use at least a "low" gear (think granny) for the manuals but a true low range would be :clap::clap::clap:. And thats with the factory 4.11s and 205/70/15s. Now that I'm running 215/70/16s, I REALLY could use a low range, but would like to keep the full time and 4.11s so that means either S.O.L. or hunting Down Unda for one because Subaru Au still has (or at least had) the low range option available on new Subies. (4.11s going to be hard to find and the low range gearing isn't up to par depending on the trans. so needs a new gear set too)

Somewhere here there's a thread on how to put the low range out of the EA82 d/r into the EJ d/r. I've got an EJ d/r originally from Australia and an EA82 d/r and am going to try it out this summer. It's a 3.9 final drive so I'll have to swap out the rear diff for a regular Legacys. I don't mind losing my 4.11, what good is it anyway if it can't get you up a steep hill or keep your revs below 3K at 70???

Somewhere here there's a thread on how to put the low range out of the EA82 d/r into the EJ d/r. I've got an EJ d/r originally from Australia and an EA82 d/r and am going to try it out this summer. It's a 3.9 final drive so I'll have to swap out the rear diff for a regular Legacys. I don't mind losing my 4.11, what good is it anyway if it can't get you up a steep hill or keep your revs below 3K at 70???

Yeah, I've seen the thread and was going to try and re-find it when the time came and see if it ever got finished. Never did think about the going to the 3.9 and the better rpms at highway speeds. I'm going to be trying that same hill again now that I've got new taller tires and see what happens. It plus the fact I like to crawl around some parts is the reason I want the D/r to begin with. I do like the fact that my ride gets up to speed quickly with the 4.11s and that's what I'm afraid of loosing as I hate being the slug getting on helL As freeways.

Edited by newsoobdude

Thats a good looking wagon. I did cringe though when I saw the pics of you driving thru the surf:eek: By the looks of it id say you were in Grayland, not far from where I live and im about 1000' off that beach. Rust is a constant battle, I hope you hosed her it off real good

Thats a good looking wagon. I did cringe though when I saw the pics of you driving thru the surf:eek: By the looks of it id say you were in Grayland' date=' not far from where I live and im about 1000' off that beach. Rust is a constant battle, I hope you hosed her it off real good[/quote']

thats my 2nd time going to ocean shores i love it there and yes i wash it there and i wash it when i get home

if you have any trouble balancing the tires you can try putting in a few airsoft bb's in them for "dynamic balancing".Theres a chart somewhere online that will tell how much weight is needed to balance a tire this way.I think the tires on my truck (235-285/75/16) require about 500 BB's a tire.Its a little more expensive up front than conventional balancing but I got my tires 2.5 years ago and have never needed to balance them. very smooth riding tires.despite the fact that I haven't rotated them either they all wore very evenly aswell.

Ive heard that swampers are the worst to balance.Any offroad tire is tough to balance by conventional means when you go offroad and knock the wheel weights off or get mud packed on the rim...

So it might be worth checking into the bb's.use the plastic airsoft bb's so they don't rust together...

just need to drive faster than 20 mph for the balancing to work.but the balance doesn't get thrown off when the tire is packed full of mud either.

Edited by Uberoo

• 2 weeks later...