Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You painted a picture ripe for interpretation. if it doesn't "sound" right you may be on to something. Parts of the exhaust can break off internally on any vehicle. Some pos baffle can act as a valve and shut off the flow. An engine may idle perfectly then is strangled at higher rpm when the pos increasingly restricts its exhaust. Often you should take a Known substance= rubber hammer instead of knuckles. Rap various parts and note which sound like sand and which has like a loose plate.

the converters are whole the muffler was broken off and a cherry bomb was put in its place... it doesnt have the subaru sound maybe a video will help

when i rev it sounds like a inline 4 not a flat 4

this is what i expect

this is whats i have mine sounds more like a honda:dead:

i do think i answered my own question its the glass-pack

ive had one on a subaru before and it didnt take the pom pom pom pom pom pom and turn into a woooombaaaa (exhaust sounds :lol: )

you should take a Known substance= rubber hammer instead of knuckles. Rap various parts and note which sound like sand and which has like a loose plate.

ill do that tomorrow i dont think anything is off though (broken or chunked up)

it has good power all the way to redline..

they appear to be equal

I'm under the impression that the "boxer rumble" comes from the unequal length y-pipe. so that may be why your car sounds the way it does. Also the way you describe the sound when it decelerating... the "whooooombaaaa" as you put it... Is just a characteristic of the glasspack. I've put them on 3-5 subies and they do that. Couple things I've noticed that helps with that raspyness is:

A) moving the cherry bomb forward in the system so there is *some* tailpipe behind the muffler.

B) Using a larger OR longer cherry bomb (I prefer larger!).

Example, on 3 ea82 powered loyales I've installed 2.5"x18" glasspacks and they are deep and rumbly. On my ej22 powered lifted wagon I've run 3 setups so far.

1st one was a 2"x18"glasspack-result slightly higher pitch and definitely raspier than I liked.

2nd was a 2" knockoff flowmaster-result was slightly more rumbly abd queter, still a little raspy and almost too quiet for my taste in a mud slinger....

3rd (current) is another 2.5"x18" glassback pretty loud, deeper and rumblier, *some* rasp on deceleration and minor popping too.

Next time I redo the exhaust on the lifted car I think I'm gona use a 3" cherry bomb! May sound deeper!? I'm guessin it will!

Another thing to note is that on ALL of these systems I've mentioned/done, everything up to the rear diff has been 2" other than cutting out the 2nd cat on one ea82 and the ej swapped car.

I think a key in the whole deal is to have 1ft+ behind whatever muffler you decide to use.

GO BIG OR GO HOME! :grin:

Edited by obk25xt

The header on your car is equal length. To get the boxer sound, you need to have an unequal length. You can get them one from someone on RS25.com, but it would be much cheaper to make one yourself. Just make sure one side is longer than the other, and you will get the sound you are looking for

Your exhaust sounds fine to me. Loud but not too loud and deep as well. Still has the "boxer rumble" just at a deeper resonance.

Are you gonna put your exhaust back up in the stock location and run it under the rear cross member or end it before the axle? Was looking at mine and I'm thinking I might just run mine out the side, but I want to keep it as high as possible too, hence not under the axle even though it's factory.

Your exhaust sounds fine to me. Loud but not too loud and deep as well. Still has the "boxer rumble" just at a deeper resonance.

Are you gonna put your exhaust back up in the stock location and run it under the rear cross member or end it before the axle? Was looking at mine and I'm thinking I might just run mine out the side, but I want to keep it as high as possible too, hence not under the axle even though it's factory.

it sounds like a damn honda to me i dont like it in back of the axle it heats the boot up. id like it out the back from cabin noise reasons (stock mounting maybe just up and over the axle?

ill see what my options are when the sun comes out