Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4eat into a loyale

bratclay

I found a 4eat from a 04 imperza. I think its a 3.90 final drive tranny. I have been doing some research and I believe its has 25spline shaft on axles. So couldnt I just install turbo axles? The only problem Im having is thinking how with the tcm work for the tranny. Does anyone know how I could make this work? Thanks gang

loyale was originally a 3AT transmission i thought? if that's the case you're going to need the entire wiring harness and TCU and more.

if it happens to have a 4EAT i think you're going to have some hurdles. but yes getting the axles to work are not going to be the hard part. the newer 4EAT's are a few inches shorter and some other changes, i'd look into it a bit. searching would likely pull up some info.

Gloyale has put a 4EAT into an EA vehicle before and I know someone else that's done it as well - but those weren't later trans like you're talking about. i'd search for Gloyales thread.

Edited by grossgary

Get an EJ engine and Harness from a 98 or later car to match it. Then it's no problem.

Otherwise, I think it's physically a no go, at least not without a Bellhousing from an Early EA82 4eat (88-90 turbo or XT). Adapter palte would have to be -(neg) 1/2" lol. (or a spacer on the crank for the flexplate? IDK)

And then you need the eletronics. You could use just the TCU, but it;ll be unhappy without a matching ECU to talk to......espescially a 98+(2nd gen) 4eat.

Seriously though....If you want a 4eat in a Loyale, with more power, get a harness, engine, and trans from an auto 90-98 car and install all of it. Just leave all the TCU wires in with the ECU when you strip it.

Oh, and don't forget the 4spd shift linkage.

Thanks. Im looking into just doing a ej22 swap into her car and keep the 3at unless I can get a great deal on a car with all of it in there. Engine, tranny, ecm, tcm wiring. Then I can just swap it all over. She kinda wants to keep the 3at cuz of the pushbutton. She likes having the 2wd then click shes got 4wd. LOL

I was thinkin the 4eat cuz of the better gearing but I dont think shes ready for awd. She said if she has awd then she just wants a wrx LOL freakin girls LOL:drunk:

The 4EAT in a Loyale is a nice upgrade. The 4EAT is a physically larger tranny, and from what I understand the L-sereis/Loyale body was changed starting in 88 to allow for a larger transmission tunnel. (The 4EAT could be found in 88-80 turbo models in the US.) In an 88-or-later body, an EJ with 4EAT sounds like a good match.

Thanks. Im looking into just doing a ej22 swap into her car and keep the 3at unless I can get a great deal on a car with all of it in there. Engine, tranny, ecm, tcm wiring. Then I can just swap it all over. She kinda wants to keep the 3at cuz of the pushbutton. She likes having the 2wd then click shes got 4wd. LOL

I was thinkin the 4eat cuz of the better gearing but I dont think shes ready for awd. She said if she has awd then she just wants a wrx LOL freakin girls LOL:drunk:

Okay.........so..........

You do or don't want to put a "4eat into a loyale" as the thread title and you posts do or don't suggest?

Well LOL

The reason I started this thread was. Cuz I found a tranny for a real low price. But no I realize I cant use it till I do a swap. So I passed on the tranny. I am goin to look for a complete legy or imprez with the 2.2, and if I get lucky and find one with a auto then all the more better.

But also now. I was working on it last nite and found out why it was vibrating so much. The splines where the axles attach to tranny. The bearings are shot. I can grab the axle and wiggle it around. :mad:

So now Im trying to figure out what to do. Its my girls daily driver.:-\

you're saying the front diff bearings are bad? are you sure...it's not the axle is it?

remove the front axles, install the CV's in the front hubs, and run it RWD. :lol:

if you're capable of swapping a transmission then a better bet is to just buy a car that needs some work and fix it. easy to end up with a daily driver impreza or legacy that way. the older ones are dirt cheap now and you can even get really nice late 90's stuff for cheap that need work.

Ya the front diff bearings are bad i believe. It really suks too. I just did alot of work to it and got it goin good so she likes it and now this crap:banghead:

So now I got to figure if its ez to swap bearings out or just find a tranny and swap them out. I can do a tranny swap no problem at all it ez and simple but I dont have an extra tranny.

I got a guy that has a 87 turbo gl-10 that has a auto in it. Can I put that one in my girls car. I know it has the mpfi and hers is spfi. It only has a button for hold1 he said. No center diff lock. But he did say it reads 1,2,3,D so thats the 4eat. How could I make it work electrically. I know Ill have to change front axles to the 25 spline count no biggi there. And Ill need the cross over braket and he has the driveline and shifter linkage. But what Im wondering is hookin it up to make it shift. Oh I know its 3.7 I have a rearend from my brat thats 3.7. But how is that goin to work with our 205/74/14 on it. It shruggles a little already but then I would be goin higher gears but it will have a 4sp.

I also looking at buying a 97 obs with 2.2 auto and swaping everything over. But that money I need to come up with. I have but the gl-10 tranny right now.

Thanks subi gang.

I don't see why you couldn't make it work... The only things that the TCU and the ECU talk to each other about is the RPM signal, TPS signal, and VSS1 and VSS2, I believe. So if you find all those signals and tap into them, the TCU will be happy and will just work. The TCU and the ECU are really 2 seperate circuits in the Loyale. I put a legacy TCU into my loyale with a 4eat, and I only needed those signals to make it work. So in theory as long as you have the TCU, you can make it work in just about any car. Especially the older TCU's. They are REALLY dumb, and only need a few wires to make them work properly.

Make it fit shouldn't be a problem either. Hell, I got my wrecked loyale hanging out in my garage with no motor, and the 4eat just sitting there. You could come pilfer what every you wanted out of it. I got the TCU and all that jazz. I would even sell you the trans for cheap, and I mean cheap and you can take whatever you need, including all the trim pieces to make it look stock. I just want it out of my garage at this point. It worked just fine until I rolled it. But whatever. I really don't want to part it myself, but if you want to come and take anything you want, you are more than welcome too. :lol:

I hope that helps a little bit. Look up my thread on putting a legacy tcu into a loyale, and I believe I broke down all the wires needed to make it all work in that thread...

I don't see why you couldn't make it work... The only things that the TCU and the ECU talk to each other about is the RPM signal, TPS signal, and VSS1 and VSS2, I believe. So if you find all those signals and tap into them, the TCU will be happy and will just work. The TCU and the ECU are really 2 seperate circuits in the Loyale. I put a legacy TCU into my loyale with a 4eat, and I only needed those signals to make it work. So in theory as long as you have the TCU, you can make it work in just about any car. Especially the older TCU's. They are REALLY dumb, and only need a few wires to make them work properly.

Make it fit shouldn't be a problem either. Hell, I got my wrecked loyale hanging out in my garage with no motor, and the 4eat just sitting there. You could come pilfer what every you wanted out of it. I got the TCU and all that jazz. I would even sell you the trans for cheap, and I mean cheap and you can take whatever you need, including all the trim pieces to make it look stock. I just want it out of my garage at this point. It worked just fine until I rolled it. But whatever. I really don't want to part it myself, but if you want to come and take anything you want, you are more than welcome too. :lol:

I hope that helps a little bit. Look up my thread on putting a legacy tcu into a loyale, and I believe I broke down all the wires needed to make it all work in that thread...

Thanks for that. I will see what I can do and maybe we can work something out. I appreciate it.

Thanks Clay

Unlikely it has bad front diff bearings. The axles do have play on the stub shaft splines - that's normal to be able to move them around. But if you pull the axle off you will see that it's not the stubs that are loose - just the fit with the splines.

Look closer - you aren't seeing what you think you are.

GD

Thanks GD I will take a better look as soon as the rack gets opened up.

Clay

I don't see why you couldn't make it work... The only things that the TCU and the ECU talk to each other about is the RPM signal, TPS signal, and VSS1 and VSS2, I believe. So if you find all those signals and tap into them, the TCU will be happy and will just work.

You didn't find that the range of scale difference between EA and EJ TPS caused a problem?

I do know that the SPFI and MPFI TPS scales are not the same either.

But as for TCU, you are the man so if you say I believe.

Physically the GL-10 4eat would be a direct bolt in. EJ 4eat would not without swapping bellhousings.

You didn't find that the range of scale difference between EA and EJ TPS caused a problem?

I do know that the SPFI and MPFI TPS scales are not the same either.

But as for TCU, you are the man so if you say I believe.

Physically the GL-10 4eat would be a direct bolt in. EJ 4eat would not without swapping bellhousings.

Thanks for that :)

I do remember you saying that they were different, but I did NOT change the TPS on my loyale when I swapped the TCU, and the TPS value was not changed in the ROM either, and it worked just fine. I think that the code has enough tolerance to be able to over come the differences. But from experience I rocked it for 6 months without an issue using the stock TPS and the legacy TCU for my turbo loyale. But it could be different with the SPFI, since I don't have one it's hard to tell. The person behind the genius of the paddle shifters (presslab) didn't have any problems either, I did ask him about it in all my research, but he also has a turbo wagon, so our TPS' are the same. So with the SPFI it might be different and cause issues, it's hard to say.

Only one true way to find out, put it in! :)