Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been away for a while. I missed you guys! My car missed you all so much it decided that it would start making a strange ticking-ish sound and screeching when I turn the wheels all the way. Found that the gears are worn out in the rack.

So... here I am!

Its a 1998 2.2 Impreza.

Now the weird thing is... this is not the first time it's gone through a steering rack. This one has been in for about 4 years. Granted, it was used when it went in, but subarus are known for NOT going through steering racks, no? Any ideas why mine has decided to kill 2 of them in it's 13 years of life?

AND, I know this is probably a difficult question to answer not having seen/heard the car, but do you think its ok to drive like this? Not for a long time, just until I can save enough to get the new one in. I don't want to do more damage, or have it totally fail on me. But I kinda really need my car! It IS noticeably "loose" feeling, but I don't really know what to expect from it. Will it slowly just get worse, or will it go out on me and be really bad?

Thanks for the help!

The original rack may have just been one of those rare failures.... the second rack could have had a lot of miles on it already or, more likely, all the metal wasn't flushed from the lines and pump - or the pump is chewed and it's making some of the metal going into the rack.....

Best bet is an entire used system - rack, pump, and lines. That way you eliminate the possibility of fluid contamination. Still much cheaper than a new rack.

I think the lack of responses to your question is probably due somewhat to the super-bowl. :)

GD