Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spark plugs

I was thinking about buying Pulstar be1i Iridium Pulse Spark Plugs, will these damage anything? Do they live up to the sale pitch?

I have a 1987 gl

Hard to tell about them since I've never used them. But the overwhelming opinion if you do a search here is that the NGK sparkplugs are the favorite for the EA81 and EA82 engines. I even use them on my EJ22. The NGKs are inexpensive, reliable and last a long time; I currently have over 60K on the last set I installed in our Impreza.

Probably won't damage anything but your wallet. What are you trying to accomplish with fancy plugs?

This has been a sales pitch for many decades - changing a plug that is doing it's job and has a correctly set gap is basically a waste. The plug ignites the charge and that's it. It either works or it doesn't work. It is highly unlikely that a $10 plus is going to do any better job in the REAL WORLD than a $1.50 plug.

Go with NGK's - the plain copper's are fine but most places only carry the v-power's anymore which are fine also.

If you have one of the DOHC engines where plugs are difficult to get to - get the double-platinum or irridium plugs from NGK - because they WILL last longer before needing to be changed and they are such a pain to get to that it's worth the extra money in the long run.

GD

NGK V-power BPR11ES .035 gap This is what the oem spark plug should be. Bosch platinums do not do as well. autolite and champions are junk.

if you are intent on some iridium or fancy multi prong plug, select from what NGK has to offer.

Too much spark can stress the coil and ignition amplifier, if you are trying to go with larger gaps and bigger coils.

Can`t see how they would damage anything.Probably don`t live up to the sales pitch.What does?

I see they contain a capacitor.

Idea sounds similar to plugs that contain an auxiliary gap.

Auxiliary gaps have definite advantages when the plug is fouled.

Anyone who dismisses plugs by brand is an idiot.

Just a quick check on cost: $12.95 each with this ad.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/partsearch/pulstar_spark_plugs.html?apwcid=x1093010841w41260599c6350&apwkwd=pulstar+spark+plugs

NGK BKR6ES-11 plugs are easily bought for $2.50 or less each. I buy them on sale for $1.50 each when they are offered at that price.

Iridium plugs are okay if your engine needs them, but for EA81, EA82, EJ18, EJ22 engines the non-iridium plugs aren't required and I doubt they are a significant advantage. I can't justify paying 5X (or more) the price for no particular advantage.

I agree with Ed - the ONLY advantage is they last longer - which if you have a car with hard-to-access plugs - it's worth it for double plat's or iridiums just to not have to deal with them again for twice or three times as long. Regular plugs every 30k, double plat's every 60k, and iridiums can last 100k on many engines.

GD