Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOS 105 Mile sparkplug removal???

Just tried to wrench out the plugs on 05 OB with 105,000 miles. The very fist one made a very disconcerting creaking and didn't feel right. I stopped and tightened it back up and all seems fine for now. Is there any trick to getting this out safely or has irreparable damage been done by leaving the ORIGINAL plugs in so long! Do these plugs become one with the head after such a long time?

I had similar problem, a few years back when I replaced the plugs after buying a used 99 OBW. Pretty sure the plugs and wires were original, with 148K miles on the odo. The wires seemed shrunk wrapped to the ends of the plugs, and the plugs nearly bonded to the heads. I had to rip and tear the plug wires off in order to get a socket to go over the plug. Same result you had, kind of a creaky sound caused by rust and corrosion. I think that is called galling. Once I had a plug break loose, then I would slowly loosen, then tighten, then loosen a few times to finally be able to unscrew the plug. Just take your time, and slowly remove the plug with out torquing the drive handle at an angle. Upon replacement, I used antisieze cream to lube plug tightening, and to prevent galling in the future for plug replacement.