Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'90 Legacy Engine Swap Options

Hi everyone. I found your forum through Google looking for info about my Legacy so I thought I should join. Anyway, I got ripped off on a deal for a 1990 Subaru Legacy with an odometer that was off by around 185k. Long story short, after replacing the clutch, exhaust and heater core it seemed to be running pretty good and then this happened:

crank.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how but it appears that the end of my crankshaft has been destroyed removing my capability to use my crank pulley. At this point I'd rather replace the engine than the crankshaft. I was wondering what options are regarding non-turbo replacement options that wont require any major modification. I'd like to get a newer motor because I was reading about upgrades to the EJ22 over the years. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.:headbang:

Your best bet is to stay with a motor out of a '90-'94 legacy. They are plentiful and cheap. Around here, anyway. The "upgrades" of the newer model ej22 motor are not really upgrades. Added EGR system and it became a interference engine, too. Maybe other stuff that you don't want or need.

What a minute. Is that actually the crank or just a cog? Are you sure your crank is ruined? I know the EJ has issues with the crank snout key way eating it's self, but I think it's deeper than that cog I'm looking at in your pic.

Edited by markjw

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I have never taken this engine apart before. I thought that the chewed up part was part of the crank sprocket (the cog that the timing belt rides on) that slid over the end of the crankshaft. I ordered the sprocket from the Subaru dealership and when I went to pick it up it was sans the end piece that is chewed up on mine. Both the diagram on the computer at the dealership and in the service manual I found on line (thanks to torrent and pdf scanners) shows the sprocket sliding over the end of the crankshaft followed by the crank pulley, both on a keyed tooth. If I was able to repair this without replacing the crankshaft would it be worth it on an engine that has 300k on it?

If I was able to repair this without replacing the crankshaft would it be worth it on an engine that has 300k on it?

Absolutely! Are you kidding me? I fully intend to take my EJ22 to a half million miles and beyond.

You already have the hard part out of the way. The plastic and crank pully. Pull the rest of the timing components off and see whats up. I can't remember off the top of my head what's beyond that chewed up cog. I think its another key way. The one that actually ruins the crank if it loosens and is allowed to wiggle around. I bet that cog will slide right off the crank snout and be easily replaced.

Edited by markjw

The crank snout is the front end of the crank shaft. It's in your first pic, where #17, "woodruff key" fits into.

I'd say by the looks of the diagrams, the crank snout is damaged. But, like GD said. Weld it and grind it. Maybe search the subject on the board here. "Crank Snout Repair"

• 1 month later...

So I pulled the motor out and replaced it with one from a '94 Legacy (84k for $300 is a pretty good deal I think) I think and changed the timing belt and every thing seems to be fine but the idle is low when it is warming up. Anyway, the wiring harness was a bit different and I noticed the sprocket off of the old motor looks a lot different than the one on the new motor and all the pics and diagrams I have seen. sprocket.jpg

The holes are all the same size while the others I have seen have holes of varying size. Anybody know what's up with that?

Also is this repairable to where it would be reliable? I don't want to worry about it happening again while I'm driving somewhere. Keep in mind I have no experience or the tools for welding.

snout.jpg

I'm thinking about rebuilding this engine since it's out of the car doing nothing.. It would give me a chance to replace the crankshaft. i'm sure I can find use for a rebuilt EJ22.

Don't bother rebuilding it - there's no profit in that. As you have seen they are easy to find and cheap. At most I would just repair the damaged crank nose or sell it to somoene that can for $50. It will have to be welded and then filed down and a new sprocket fitted. Pretty simple - take me about an hour probably.

GD