Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Outback, Automatic.

I have put an Oxygen sensor, knock sensor, catylitic converter, cleaned pcv valve and cleaned Idle air valve. When I am at a complete stop(say a redlight) with my foot on the brake, the car idles down causing it to vibrate a little. If I put the car in neutral or park the car idles perfect. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2000 Outback, Automatic.

I have put an Oxygen sensor, knock sensor, catylitic converter, cleaned pcv valve and cleaned Idle air valve. When I am at a complete stop(say a redlight) with my foot on the brake, the car idles down causing it to vibrate a little. If I put the car in neutral or park the car idles perfect. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Your help is greatly appreciated.

IF the vibration goes away when you put the car in Neutral or Park (no load) then the problem is in the axles.

Yes, that's right. The front axles. There is a weird harmonic that developes, I believe because of the equal length axles. It only happens when the axles are taking the load of holding the car (brakes locked, trans still applying some drive force)

It's not neccesarilly a "problem". But it means there is some where in the axles, (or they are cheap aftermarket axles). If the vibration really bothers you.....pony up $700 bucks for OE subaru axles.

You could buy new cheaper ones from a parts store, but the vibration may still happens......aftermarket non subaru axles are a crapshoot.

IF the vibration goes away when you put the car in Neutral or Park (no load) then the problem is in the axles.

Yes, that's right. The front axles. There is a weird harmonic that developes, I believe because of the equal length axles. It only happens when the axles are taking the load of holding the car (brakes locked, trans still applying some drive force)

It's not neccesarilly a "problem". But it means there is some where in the axles, (or they are cheap aftermarket axles). If the vibration really bothers you.....pony up $700 bucks for OE subaru axles.

You could buy new cheaper ones from a parts store, but the vibration may still happens......aftermarket non subaru axles are a crapshoot.

This is plausible IF either of the front dirveaxles has been replaced with an aftermarket axle.

I'd look for a split vacuum hose somewhere. There is a diagram on the bottom of the hood showing all of the vacuum hoses on the engine, and where they go.