Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trying to find the oil pump on my 83

take a look under your front bumper, dead center of car, and if its

an EA81 engine (you didn't specify) then look for the oil filter.

Between the oil filter and engine block you should see the oil pump,

and just to be sure, post a pic of this area to confirm.

If you're experiencing low oil pressure, it *may* be a bad oil pressure

sending unit (it should be a small canister with a single wire attached to it).

I had to replace the oil pressure sending unit on my '81 GL wagon, so bear

in mind that i've never replaced an oil pump (so i'm no freak'n expert here) but

I have replaced the oil pressure sending unit.. and that's easy. Easy enough

for me, but I do have a full service manual to reference.

hope this helps, keep us posted.. hopefully others will jump in here.

gadberry

great thanks, i'll take a look tomorrow. the reason im lookin for it is because a mechanic told me i was leakin oil from it and its leakin onto my exhaust therefore making it smoke... i cant drive a smoking car, its embarrassing haha, so i'll take a look tomorrow and see what i find

This "mechanic" clearly doesn't know an oil pump from a well-diggers rump roast hole. The oil pump couldn't possibly leak oil on the exhaust. Not even in the same zip-code with respect to oil leaks.

GD

You need a new mechanic. Valve cover gasket, perhaps?

If it's an EA81T, there's a possibility that the oil is dripping on the cross over pipe to the turbo. Then again, the OP dose not mention if his is turbo or N/A.

My question is why dose he want to replace the pump just for an oil leak? You can buy new o-rings and gasket for the pump.

probably the oil pressure switch leaking. Or perhaps leaking at the oil filter where it threads on.

I would get a second opinion.

If he saw oil leaking there, fine. But for it to burn on the exhaust, i say its yet another leak too. Or else you have a torn right side axle boot dripping/spraying grease onto your y pipe.

When I first picked up my '86 Brat it was a mess for oil leaks. there was almost a steady drip of oil from the valve cover (which is DIRECTLY above the exhaust mani)running down the exhaust stud to the manifold its self then eventually burning off.So I figured Id swap gaskets,easly enough there is only 2 bolts holding the valve cover in place, Boom off, the hardest/most time consuming part was removing what appeared to be the original gasket from the valve cover its self. It was glued like an SOB. Once that was done I slapped a new gasket in there and reinstalled the valve covers and that took care of the oil leakage in that general area. There were drips of oil on the oil pressure sending unit(lower part of oil pump which is nowhere near the exhaust) and oil pan bolts, I just snugged up most of the oil pan bolts and that took care of 97% of my oil leaks. When I say snugged I mean be gentle, Dont be thinking your all manly and go reifing on it, Thats how you smash gaskets and make things worse. Hope this helps:burnout: