Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Usually when something is locked up with the brakes either the slide pin boots leaked and caused the pins to seize or the caliper piston seized in the bore.

Both problems are entirely preventable if a few simple steps are taken when the pads are changed.

Usually they'll just entirely replace the caliper and/or bracket and charge you an arm and a leg.....this is why they never do those simple steps.

Four years? On brakes that been in use....time for new calipers, or a serious refurbish. The piston seals will have seized up the pistons, even if the glider pins are stille moving.

You can do it yourself, but you have to know what you are doing. It's not rocket science, at all, but they are your brakes so need to be confident in them.

For a refurb, you will need new pistons and a seal kit...probably for all four brakes. Gliders are a maybe.

I would change the fluid.

I got a car like that that wasnt exactly parked. It was driven once in a while around the block to give it a run.

hehehe

It had a bad shimmey in the front the seller said "gee that is new" (unloved car great price). Got it home.

It never ceases to amaze me how bad something can be and still sort of operate.

Left front brake was basically a huge mass of metal. No telling where the rotor began and the caliper bracket ended. the "operating" brake had left an imprint where the pads were.

Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't.

Also do a quick onceover on all teh rubber parts to make sure they are all good.