Ultimate Subaru Message Board

At work today, my dad, had an outback sedan come in I'm not sure on the year or the trans yet as he isn't home and I haven't talked to him fully about it yet, but I will get that info soon. Anyway it spit the timing tensioner. It has a phase 2 2.5 in it (the one were the spark plugs go in through the valve covers) And it destroyed the heads every valve is bent. I have phase 2 2.2 heads out of an 2001 impreza sitting on my shelf and my dad was wondering if these will fit it? I know that you can make a Frankenmoter out of the phase 1 engines, but will this work with the new style? and will it have the same results high comp and more hp, and if they do fit will the owner have to run higher octane fuel as well?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Shaun

No - actually if you go that direction the pistons will slap the cylinder heads because the phase-I EJ25D has pop-up pistons that rise above the deck at TDC.

And if you use the thicker 25D head gasket the resulting compression will be too low.

You can change the pistons over to 251 pistons.... then run the 251 head gaskets as well.... might work.

I don't know that this has been tried with phase-II 2.2 heads - probably has been done with phase-II 2.5 heads..... basically you are building a phase-II engine and you would need phase-II belt covers, phase-II timing belt, etc. They are a lot different.

GD

Okay thanks GD, sounds like it would be easier to find another set of 2.5 heads (or an engine) locally, I was just trying to save the customer some $$ by selling them used parts I had kicking around, but swapping the pistons out will be time consuming, and at that point the labor will be way up and it wont matter anyway. If it were my own car I would think about it, but not something someone has to pay for the labor for.