Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poor quality Weber?

So the Weber for the 79 wagon ea71 just came in the mail today and I am rather disappointed with it's quality. Everything looks to be made of poor quality metal, there are things that don't line up, etc...Here are a few pics. I was hoping maybe someone could tell me if this is the standard of quality accepted with these carbs. It is a Redline kit from ebay, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-1976-1989-1600-1800-OHV-EA71-81-Weber-Carb-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem5aded1c982QQitemZ390285347202QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the adapter to the intake manifold and as you can see the holes on the gasket don't line up.

AV4QE.jpg

Here is an air cleaner clip that isn't crimped right so it is basically useless unless modified.

ToNVm.jpg

I'm assuming this black piece is supposed to go through this hole and hook to a hose? But it doesn't quite fit. This is part of the air box.

jHpWA.jpg

Is this supposed to be left open like this? There is an accelerator pump on the other side of the carb, but I'm worried about the hole at the right edge of the circle.

dkBxi.jpg

There are other little problems too like tarnished metal in the air box and the air filter is bent, but I don't want to post too many pics.

Please help me out with info if you have any, Thanks.

Basically the same quality of the one I just recived myself only I bought mine from Carburators Unlimited almost the same problems all around I did get it installed on my car however I will give a word of warning if you get really cold temps like I do in minnesota expect to have to take the air cleaner off and free up the butterfly on the carb by hand because mine sticks all the time when I try to start it im not very pleased with the product quality at all and it left me with more open hoses and vaccum lines then anything even with following the instructions to the T

yep can say about same i got mine used rebuilt, same with the vent to lower housing, clip etc......my choke was installed in reverse, so when it heated up, it pulled choke closed........i was not so happy.....

? made in China? i bet.

economy sucks, i am jobless. now, If you have question on how to vent your lines and hoses, i can take pics to help you.

That's not a real Weber...

http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/

You are wrong.That is a "real" Weber.

Only DGECs anD IDFs are Solex made.

That is not a DGEC and it is certainly not an IDF.

Kinda silly to think it makes a difference anyway.

"Real" Spanish built Webers are not "real" either according to some.

(they aren`t made in Bologna after all)

That's not a real Weber...

http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/

Are you sure? It's distributed through Redline like the article you posted says the genuine ones are. It also says "made in Spain" right on it.

Maybe it is the Redline kit that is cheap? Most of the defects I found were in the adapter kit and airbox kit. Plus the choke wasn't screwed down tight, but I think that is independent of the carb itself because there are three choices for what kind of choke you want. The only thing that worries me on the carb itself is the open area in the last pic.

So the Weber for the 79 wagon ea71 just came in the mail today and I am rather disappointed with it's quality. Everything looks to be made of poor quality metal, there are things that don't line up, etc...Here are a few pics. I was hoping maybe someone could tell me if this is the standard of quality accepted with these carbs. It is a Redline kit from ebay, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-1976-1989-1600-1800-OHV-EA71-81-Weber-Carb-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem5aded1c982QQitemZ390285347202QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the adapter to the intake manifold and as you can see the holes on the gasket don't line up.

Here is an air cleaner clip that isn't crimped right so it is basically useless unless modified.

I'm assuming this black piece is supposed to go through this hole and hook to a hose? But it doesn't quite fit. This is part of the air box.

Is this supposed to be left open like this? There is an accelerator pump on the other side of the carb, but I'm worried about the hole at the right edge of the circle.

dkBxi.jpg

There are other little problems too like tarnished metal in the air box and the air filter is bent, but I don't want to post too many pics.

Please help me out with info if you have any, Thanks.

Don`t lose any sleep over the uncovered passage for a second(optional) accellerator pump.

The non-carb parts DO look like junk.

Some superior Chinese technology could have helped out.

Don`t lose any sleep over the uncovered passage for a second(optional) accellerator pump.

I was pretty sure that's what it's for, but if that's the case doesn't that hole actually go somewhere?

The non-carb parts DO look like junk.

Some superior Chinese technology could have helped out.

That's what I'm thinkin...

You are wrong.That is a "real" Weber.

Only DGECs anD IDFs are Solex made.

That is not a DGEC and it is certainly not an IDF.

Kinda silly to think it makes a difference anyway.

"Real" Spanish built Webers are not "real" either according to some.

(they aren`t made in Bologna after all)

Yep, I am wrong.

Thanks for the replies and the info guys. It's not that the problems are insurmountable, but if quality is so lacking with simple drilled holes, how well can I expect the whole unit to be built? It does seem like it is mostly the adapter kit and related hardware that are low quality - maybe the carb itself is made better?

I have contacted the seller and he has agreed to replace the defective parts, so that is a plus. I just hope the carb performs a little better than the quality I've seen so far.

I'm still worried about the place for a second accelerator pump. Is that hole plugged further in where I can't see, or should i cover it with some sort of plate?

Well I finally got it installed!:banana: When I pulled the old carb off the gasket was still in good shape, so I just used it instead of trying to make the defective one work. The air hole in the adapter plate didn't quite line up with the intake manifold, but at least the bolt holes did. I used very little of the linkage adapter kit, which was mostly all wrong, but I was able to modify the stock location to work.

I did this:

1Jka8.jpg

Instead of this, which wouldn't even attach to the cable and also raised it into space reserved for the spare tire:

VXXVf.jpg

I plugged all the vacuum hoses just for a test run and fired it up. I am very pleased with its actual on-car performance. The engine went from hard to start, sputtery, and anemic to starts right up and purrs! :grin: It's like having a new engine.

I still have yet to hook up hoses as all I did was plug them all. The instructions, (mostly useless) don't mention what to do with the myriad of hoses left over, or how to connect the two crankcase vents to the one hole they give you. I can probably figure something out, but any pics or ideas are appreciated. I mostly just need to know if there are any of those vacuum lines that need to go somewhere instead of being plugged. Thanks.

• Like 1

I plugged all the vacuum hoses just for a test run and fired it up. I am very pleased with its actual on-car performance. The engine went from hard to start, sputtery, and anemic to starts right up and purrs! :grin: It's like having a new engine.

Congrats! I have been watching this thread closely, I will be getting my Weber on in the next few weeks. (excited as a little school girl) I am SO hoping mine does the same for my engine!

Cheers

Edited by GLwagonlove

I have bought 2 webers from Redline and they didn't look like the one you have. They mounted purfactly and the linkage looks just like the Subaru. Nothing at all like your pictures. Mounted mine up and have over 4ooo miles and runs like a dream. Just my two cents worth. Hope yours does just as well. Carl

Congrats! I have been watching this thread closely, I will be getting my Weber on in the next few weeks. (excited as a little school girl) I am SO hoping mine does the same for my engine!

Cheers

Thanks. As long as you are upgrading from a carb and not spfi, and you can deal with the glitches in quality, I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

I recommend these guys if your buying weber kits/carbs/parts etc. Ive never had a parts quality issue.

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/default.asp

I didn't see anything for Subaru...lots of others though...

you can connect the two PCV hoses to a T connection then connect that to the airbox.The only vaccum line that is needed is a vacuum advance on the distributor and the line for the heater.Everything else can be removed.

Thanks! Exactly the kind of info I'm lookin for. I kind of had the idea in mind for the T fitting...not sure where to find one. Napa?

It seems the vac advance for the disty does not go to the carb - I guess it just goes to the intake manifold. And I think the heater is all manual. So I get to just plug them all! MUAHAHAHA!

I have bought 2 webers from Redline and they didn't look like the one you have. They mounted purfactly and the linkage looks just like the Subaru. Nothing at all like your pictures. Mounted mine up and have over 4ooo miles and runs like a dream. Just my two cents worth. Hope yours does just as well. Carl

Were they the DGEV series? Got any pics?

there is one vacuum line on the carb. it should be down low near the base.Thats for the disty.There should be a single line that goes into the firewall.that line may split if you have cruise control.

If you have the intake manifold off you can remove the vacuum loom under the manifold as well as a whole bunch of sensors/mechanical devices for making the 5hitachi function.

I don't see a problem - make a new gaket or alter the one they gave you.... you only need 4 air filter clips so pick the best one's. Carb looks fine - that passage isn't drilled through on the optional accelerator pump flange.

Look up my older threads on how to hookup the PCV system. Just using a T is wrong.

GD

Hey thanks for the info on the pump flange. Could you give me a link or point me toward your older threads a little better? I tried searching your name for "PCV" and it said it was too short, too long, or too common.:rolleyes: Searching for Weber brought up many many results...If there's a better way search I'm ready to be enlightened!

Could you give me a link or point me toward your older threads a little better? I tried searching your name for "PCV" and it said it was too short, too long, or too common.:rolleyes: Searching for Weber brought up many many results...If there's a better way search I'm ready to be enlightened!
I believe GD told me to use Boolean operators when I asked a similar question.http://www.internettutorials.net/boolean.asp

And here is a thread with good pics of the PCV routing. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115539&highlight=PCV+routing+weber In advanced search I typed in "PCV routing"+weber, sorted by Relevancy, posts made by GeneralDisorder, and six threads popped up. I am doing this install later today, so if you can't tell what kind of T fitting is pictured let me know and I'll post a pic.

Thanks for the info ferox.

Here's a pic of the hose that goes to the drivers side valve cover. After reading that thread it looks like a simple T fitting would work in my case because of the shape of the hose. The problem is this hose is quite rigid and insists upon pointing in front of the carb. Is it okay if I lengthen it and wrap it back around to line up with the hole in the carb, or should I do away with it and hook up a smaller hose that then goes to one of those mismatched T fittings?

1oYvS.jpg

Is it okay if I lengthen it and wrap it back around to line up with the hole in the carb?
I am not familiar with the fitting in your picture, so I am not sure.

should I do away with it and hook up a smaller hose that then goes to one of those mismatched T fittings?
I would probably do that just to minimize the hosery and it's easier to compare your set-up to other examples.