Ultimate Subaru Message Board

someone tried stealing my GL help getting it running!

last week someone tried and failed stealing my 88 gl wagon from outside my house. they basically destroyed the ignition. i can get it to go through all cycles with a screw driver, it will crank all day but not start. none of the wires were touched except one that has a black wire and a black/white wire and has a plastic connector thing at the end that both wires go into and it sits above the keyhole. also the tail lights are constantly on unless you disconnect the battery. if i can get it to start with a screwdriver fine. i just want the use of my car back.

Edited by awakethroughmot

I can't help you at the moment with the major part of your question (ignition), but the taillights being on is almost certainly because the "virgin switch" on top of the steering column is flipped on. This switch allows the parking lights to be turned on while the ignition switch is off. (Almost all new-to-subaru owners ask this question, hence the name.)

There may be some blown fuses or fusible links. I suggest you check those to make sure they are all ok. The fusible links are inside a plastic box mounted on the coolant resevoir. If the fuses are all ok then make sure you have spark getting to the plugs.

• 1 month later...