Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help.. cold air intake

amr9000

is there a k&n, or at least another Good company, cold air intake or even a nice performance intake that fits a 96 impreza outback? so a 2.2

Rallitek sells an intake for cars of that vintage. You should ask them if nobody here has any other ideas. If you're looking for something pretty, that is.

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but if you're looking for power, then the first thing you should do is cams from Delta. The hp/$ ratio is unbeatable.

Jacob

You'll notice that Subaru did a bang up job routing in cold air to the airbox, I wouldn't worry about that, if you want to spend money and not get a return, an intake is the way to do it. You have essentially the same intake that is used on the WRX.

Cams are a much better place to start if you want actual improvements in HP and torque. Combine them with a better flowing exhaust and you'll really feel a difference.

The 2.2 is famous as being stone reliable, not for its power, I'd enjoy it for what it is and save up for a factory turbo down the line.

You'll notice that Subaru did a bang up job routing in cold air to the airbox, I wouldn't worry about that, if you want to spend money and not get a return, an intake is the way to do it. You have essentially the same intake that is used on the WRX.

Cams are a much better place to start if you want actual improvements in HP and torque. Combine them with a better flowing exhaust and you'll really feel a difference.

The 2.2 is famous as being stone reliable, not for its power, I'd enjoy it for what it is and save up for a factory turbo down the line.

What he said, you already have a cold air induction system that wont suck in water,

And what he said for everything else.

thank you guys, I like this information, I do like the idea of keeping the reliability of the engine.. first would a cam from them hold it's reliability oorr change it? and second a turbo is way out of my price range, in the short And long run :P

also I'll keep the stock intake on, how about filters? kn reusable filters a good idea or should I stick to cheaper oem ones?

in general, is there any way to get some extra power without ruining the integrity of the car?

thank you guys, I like this information, I do like the idea of keeping the reliability of the engine.. first would a cam from them hold it's reliability oorr change it? and second a turbo is way out of my price range, in the short And long run :P

also I'll keep the stock intake on, how about filters? kn reusable filters a good idea or should I stick to cheaper oem ones?

in general, is there any way to get some extra power without ruining the integrity of the car?

A tail wind, a sail, going down a steep mountain all help with performance.

If you want to remove the engine and and make a hot engine, then the sky and your wallet are the limits. There is quite a lot out there for the 2.22, as the 2.5 is built (DOHC) right to the edge of the power they can support.

Noah pointed out something I overlooked. The best power/$ thing could very well be just buying a turbo car. I'd throw nitrous in there as another option. If you're concerned about cost and reliability, then you pretty much have cams and Frankenmotor. Most other things are just noise or shiny things, unless I'm overlooking something.

I've never heard of cams affecting reliability. Lots of us have them, and some have had them for a really long time.

If you're still hungry for power after that, then you're getting into Frankenmotor territory. Search for that or just "Frankenstein" on here and on NASIOC. That cost me $700 or so, and it made a big difference. You'd be getting up to the power-to-weight ratio of a WRX. Of the dozens or hundreds of Frankenmotors out there, I know of two failures. One was from some type of assembly issue. The other is because the block was being used for supercharger projects back when supercharging a Subaru meant boost spikes that would kill a motor in a few seconds.

If you put your location in your profile, then I think people will be better able to help you. If you're in Portland, for example, I can show you what a cammed Frankenmotor can do:banana:

For filters, you can go with the dealer one or a good paper one. I run a Perrin filter in my fast car. It makes the turbo whistle a little bit, but I doubt it gave me any power.

Jacob

Edited by renob123

+1 on the Frankenmoter they seem like a good compromise between power and money add some cams and I hear they go good :burnout:, I would tell you how it is, but mine is still in the building stages.... As far as filters I usually run a stock/stock replacement I have had issues with the Mass-air meters not really liking the oil on the K&N and that can = a lot of $ if they go bad.

trying to research the Frankenmotor.. as far as I can tell it's aa... bigger block? I couldn't find much on it google wise..

I think I may've sounded a little ambitious.. I'm not looking to get any major power like nitrous (Oh God DDDD:) or turbos, not to mention I don't think the rest of the car could handle it which = $$$$

I'm really just looking to squeeze some extra pounds of torque.. MaYbe 170 foot pounds.. just enough to give it that little pep.. basically the equivalent of a 0-60 in aboout.... 8 seconds? 7.5...

friend of mine was worried that something like a performance cam could threaten the engines reliability by overextending the pistons and/or making it an interference engine... looking for some confirmation on this

trying to research the Frankenmotor.. as far as I can tell it's aa... bigger block? I couldn't find much on it google wise..

I think I may've sounded a little ambitious.. I'm not looking to get any major power like nitrous (Oh God DDDD:) or turbos, not to mention I don't think the rest of the car could handle it which = $$$$

I'm really just looking to squeeze some extra pounds of torque.. MaYbe 170 foot pounds.. just enough to give it that little pep.. basically the equivalent of a 0-60 in aboout.... 8 seconds? 7.5...

friend of mine was worried that something like a performance cam could threaten the engines reliability by overextending the pistons and/or making it an interference engine... looking for some confirmation on this

Don't use google for Frankenmotor research. Search the places I told you. You could do it for as little as, maybe, $200 or so if you're handy. It was $700 or so for me because I bought two engines to avoid downtime.

Delta cams won't overextend the pistons. I'm not even clear on what that means, but they won't do it. I don't think they make it interference either, but I can't say for sure. I'll let someone who knows more than I do answer that question. I wouldn't worry about it, though, because timing belts don't seem to be a problem with Subarus. From what I've seen at least. I'd worry more about keeping oil in it. Hopefully someone older and wiser can step in with their take on that issue.

Jacob

My limited understanding of the "Frankenmotor" recipe from reading on this forum is,

EJ25D Shortblock (97-98?)

EJ22E Dual Port heads (91-94 Legacy) with delta reground roller cams and rockers from a 96-97 EJ22 (optional but a better choice)

Multi-Layer dealer only head gaskets to match the block - not the heads.

Timing belt components for EJ25D

From what I have read, this does create a higher compression engine with more torque that probably will require premium fuel and IS interference. I think some people are still working out problems making them idle correctly. I have NOT built one (yet) so take this for what it's worth:)

I have the heads for this already rebuilt and I also had a good 98 Forester EJ25D short block which I stupidly sold for almost nothing before I found out about it:rolleyes:

Edited by Crazyeights

200$? I like the sound of that but first of all how could you only spend 200$ with the whole.. other engine part? otherwise this would be interesting if/when I needed to get a new engine but how hard is it on the car?

also anyone run a dyno on that?

I didn't think it made any sense but I thought I'd ask, I'm relatively literate car wise but.. well no expert..

how much would a ground cam set me back? and how hard would it be on the engine? would it be a generally bad idea to do this to a 2.2 with 209k on it?

thanks guys, you've all already been a great deal of help :)

ps, you said I should be more worried about keeping oil in it..? what do you mean by that?

also, while on this topic, what kind of oil should I get? is it engine specific or just.. whatever is best based on location?

200$? I like the sound of that but first of all how could you only spend 200$ with the whole.. other engine part? otherwise this would be interesting if/when I needed to get a new engine but how hard is it on the car?

also anyone run a dyno on that?

I didn't think it made any sense but I thought I'd ask, I'm relatively literate car wise but.. well no expert..

how much would a ground cam set me back? and how hard would it be on the engine? would it be a generally bad idea to do this to a 2.2 with 209k on it?

thanks guys, you've all already been a great deal of help :)

ps, you said I should be more worried about keeping oil in it..? what do you mean by that?

also, while on this topic, what kind of oil should I get? is it engine specific or just.. whatever is best based on location?

I said the oil thing because I hear of a lot more Subaru engines dying from oil starvation than from timing belt failure.

The Frankenmotor isn't just the recipe Crazyeights posted. There are a lot of variations that will require further reading. There's a good listing on NASIOC that some guy made a couple weeks ago. The way you'd do it for $200 is to wait around for a good deal on an EJ25 block and buy dealer head gaskets. I swapped over all of my EJ22 timing stuff, and I didn't mess with the rockers at all, but I treated mine to cams. $200 is sort of a bare minimum estimate, including some luck.

No comment on the oil thing. As for how bad cams or a Frankenmotor would be on a car, I'd guess the cams will have minimal impact. They don't seem to raise peak horsepower, but it sure feels like they get to peak way earlier and hold it for way longer. My Frankenmotor is in an '85 Brat, which was never meant for anything like that, so I don't want to speculate. USMB and NASIOC have a lot of very satisfied Frankenmotor/Delta cams owners, though.

Jacob

I'm kind of in the same boat as the original poster and just wanted to ask a couple questions.I own a 1995 Impreza 2.2.What kind of fuel mileage would the Delta cams get you.Would it hurt it real bad because gas is going up again.:mad:Also same question about the frankenmotor.I would love for the car to move out a little better but can afford to completey kill the fuel economy.Anyway,guess i'll start searching for Frankenmotor info.

I'm kind of in the same boat as the original poster and just wanted to ask a couple questions.I own a 1995 Impreza 2.2.What kind of fuel mileage would the Delta cams get you.Would it hurt it real bad because gas is going up again.:mad:Also same question about the frankenmotor.I would love for the car to move out a little better but can afford to completey kill the fuel economy.Anyway,guess i'll start searching for Frankenmotor info.

A guy named Matt Monson and I recently posted in a thread on NASIOC that answers your questions (if I remember correctly, that is). I encourage you to look it up, but from what I remember, Matt found a slight increase in mileage when he added cams. I don't remember what the findings were for Frankenmotors, but I bet the change was pretty minimal.

You may want to look into fancy headers as well. I didn't feel a difference in power when I added my cheap ones, but some people report a little better fuel economy.

Jacob

Then cams sound like the best option considering it means I don't have to rip the whoole engine out (assuming.. that Is correct..) bout how much are they..?

And yes the last owner was Not good with Any of the fluids... poor little car..

You should call Delta and find out. They have sales and stuff sometimes. You may get lucky on the price. I don't know what it would take to install them in your particular car. My engine is in a Brat, which is much more snug, I would think.

Jacob

Hey quick question, how much would a cam do without a free flowing exhaust?

I'm sure some genius can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a non-free flowing exhaust will be much of a problem. The torque cams improve power at lower RPM. Less exhaust gas is being made at lower RPM, so I don't see the exhaust being much of a restriction. That being said, I opted for a free flowing exhaust, but I did that before I saw the light.

Does that make sense?

Jacob

that does make sense, thank you... be the last thing I do if I have anything leftover, seems like it is the best gain for.. not soo much money :P

Oh.. tuning.. do I need to retune the engine, electronically, to accommodate?

that does make sense, thank you... be the last thing I do if I have anything leftover, seems like it is the best gain for.. not soo much money :P

Oh.. tuning.. do I need to retune the engine, electronically, to accommodate?

No tuning is necessary with cams, but tuning is always a good idea for any level of performance if you have the resources. I'd consider it in the exhaust category for you. It would be nice, but do the cams and grin first.

Jacob