Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello

jUST RECENTLY My cd player stopped working. I have a six disc changer and when I turn the car on it shows disc three on the display ( I think it is stuck on disc three) the radio will work but I can't get anything else on the cd player to work. When I press the eject button it switches to am radio.

I am hoping the cold (in minneapolis) is what is causing the stick.

I have banged on the side of it with no results

I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer. any suggestions fromn you friendly folk?

Thanks

Gritle

Just say goodbye to the stocker. When they start screwing up like that is isn't worth trying to repair. They are easy to remove and replace with an after market cd player. If you don't feel comfortable with matching up a few wires for a harness adapter most audio shops will offer free or discounted installation if you purchase through them. But if you have a wire stripping tool and a roll of electric tape you can install a new unit all on your own and save some moolah.

Crutchfield.com has a nice fitment guide where you put in your year make and model and it will sort out what equipment will fit your vehicle.

I have the same model/year and I recall reading that there may be a Subaru dealer split front plate that replaced the original but I'm not sure if that provides any relief. Model year 05 is stuck with HVAC and radio/cd as ONE unit. What stupidity! You may end up having to scour junk yards for questionable reliability in a used part...

I think the eating and cooling controls are all part of that stero unit. So I'm thinking a replacement kinda needs to be the same factory unit.

So far they look pricey. any suggestios. Really need the heat and well the A/c is nice too

eating is what it is doing, eating your CD's

I bet it can be removed, and reset. probably some lever got hung up at the wrong time. probably will work fine after it is removed.

• 2 weeks later...
Huh? I can't seem to find a way to get it out or to get to any of the fasteners.

suggestions?

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/stereoremovalSubaruOutback05_08P.htm

the above link has instructions for $5

I used the following instructions (with pics) when I was retrofitting the cabin air filter (which was not factory installed due to poor space design).

There are a number of screws beneath the center console and snap on trim pieces that need to be removed to get to the innards.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installation-cabin-air-filter-56k-warning-1626p9.html?t=1626&page=9

Hope this helps.

Gotta love those one piece Radio/HVAC controls.

If your climate control panel has the 3 knobs you can get a kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-TurboKits-99-8901-Stereo-Installation/dp/B000LU9QD6

That's a nice solution but my fancy schmancy 05 has the dual temp controls and the one piece HVAC/radio/cd unit.

Hope I never have to deal with this issue. If so, I may just install an 8 track player in the glove box like in the good ole days. :grin: