Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really bad MPG (or so I think)

Hi everyone,

I have a 91 loyale wagon 4x4 manual spfi. Today I filled up my tank (put in 12.5 gallons to top it off), I went 228 miles from when I last filled up. That puts me at 18 mpg. :eek: what can I do to get better mpg?

More Info:

-My car runs great for being 20 years old.

-My muffler has an exhaust leak.

-I don't drive it like I stole it, I am very conservative at where I shift it.

I live about a mile from my work and mostly only drive it too and from work and home.

-The steering is a little bit off(slightly veers to the left when I take my hands of the wheel).

-The tires(175/80R13) are about 4 months old from when the previous owner put them on before he sold it to me. He left one of the old tires on a rim in the back compartment and it looks like it has unusual wear on the outside tread.

Thanks in advance to the responses.

shift at 3000 rpms when driving conservatively, and cruise between 2000, and 2500 rpm. shifting too soon and bogging the engine at rpms under 2000 is actually inefficient, due to the short stroke of the engine. its the kind of thing you would get better fuel economy at 70 mph than 60 mph.

engine temp sensor could be weak

the exhaust leak will affect low speed/rpm performance, and cut fuel economy, and make the car work kharder to get moving

steering issue is most likely a wheel bearing. you can jack up the car and wiggle the wheel all you want, but if you feel no play, that is usually true with a bad wheel bearing, due to their design. Changing the wheel bearing is no more work than replacing the axle. The bad bearing can affect mileage having a rolling resistance

spare tire goes under the hood.(im sure you know that) a full size does fit. There is actually a captive nut in the back to screw down the spare tire retainer if you wish to keep it in the back

Ride a bicycle?

Did that from oct of 06 til march of 07 so i could save enough money to buy my other car (mustang), I have had my fun riding a bike in the snow during the winter months. :)

shift at 3000 rpms when driving conservatively, and cruise between 2000, and 2500 rpm. shifting too soon and bogging the engine at rpms under 2000 is actually inefficient, due to the short stroke of the engine. its the kind of thing you would get better fuel economy at 70 mph than 60 mph.

engine temp sensor could be weak

the exhaust leak will affect low speed/rpm performance, and cut fuel economy, and make the car work kharder to get moving

steering issue is most likely a wheel bearing. you can jack up the car and wiggle the wheel all you want, but if you feel no play, that is usually true with a bad wheel bearing, due to their design. Changing the wheel bearing is no more work than replacing the axle. The bad bearing can affect mileage having a rolling resistance

spare tire goes under the hood.(im sure you know that) a full size does fit. There is actually a captive nut in the back to screw down the spare tire retainer if you wish to keep it in the back

I shift between 2500 and 3000 so I usually don't bog it down.

Should I look at replacing the engine temp sensor and get a new exhaust put on?

All the wheel bearings are new as I had to have those replaced when I bought the car so it would pass safey and IM

What elevation do you live at?

How long do you let your car warm up?

Have you Seafoamed your fuel system?

I live in northern utah so elevation is around 4,350 ft.

I don't let my car warm up unless there is snow on it, which I warm it up briefly while I scrape it off.

I have used seafoam in the fuel tank and the crank case but I can't figure out which pcv hose to use it through.

Thanks for your replies. if there are any other suggestions, feel free to ask.

MyMustang1-1.jpg

1991SubaruLoyale-2.jpg

Edited by Skysm182

Loyales have a locking gas door relased from inside... so I doubt its that.

I think that the car never has a chance to reach normal operating temperature has a lot to do with your poor mileage. May be other factors, but in the spring try taking it on a short road trip... if you cant get like 25MPG than I bet there are some other factors going on.

Engine isn't reaching operating temp with a 1 mile commute. It's running in open-loop mode with no feedback from the O2 sensor and the CTS is reporting cold operating so it's enriching the mixture to allow it to run (ECU's version of a choke). 18 MPG is about what I would expect for that type of driving conditions.

Get a Moped.

GD

maybe a block heater can help with the short run times. I agree with getting a moped. That is a whole nother world of fun outside of subarus. Mopeds are quite capable, with the right mods. I know some die hard folks with 60 mph mopeds with crazy expansion pipes and modified variators.

mopeds used to be embarassing to ride, but now they are hip. But even with a hip moped, you run the risk of embarassment by being labeled a hipster.

bolted to the hub? So it doesnt freewheel?:eek:

The chain to the pedals works just the same as a normal bike. Which, is basically what it is. The chain to the engine always turns if the bike is moving.

I've since blown that engine and am working on a new one, but I got a good 4k miles or so out of it before I killed it.

I have a chinese moped, cost me like 800 new. then i bought a house in the boonies where the County roads are all 55mph... my moped has 56 miles on it :lol: and with variator sliders, it runs 45mph :banana::banana: nowadays, i just ride it to the mailbox :lol:

IMAG0281.jpg

it's for sale. :eek: I need a 150cc to ride to town :rolleyes:

Man,

Am I the only one that thinks that old blue subaru looks waaay better

than that green GT..?

that poor lil mustang... ;)

cheers

gadberry

lol, the loyale doesn't look the same now as it does in the picture (that was the photo the previous owner had when the ad was on ksl and he didn't sell me the roof rack or the front fog lights). for updated pics see my thread in the meet and greet section

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120712

I also only get around $230MPG in my 87 GL-10 but I did a lot of routine maintenance so hopefully I get better and I try to stay out of boost. Also where did you get those wheels?

They were already on the car when I bought it.