Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the serpentine belt design is a good idea.. it will save many an a/c and alternator bearing due to over tightening. The bad: plastic. Plastic( chinese) parts are the downfall of the automotive industry. VW stared using them in the mid 90's and its been bad new bears since. A lot of American Auto Manufactures use plastic intakes, pulleys....all junk. Intakes warp and cause vacuum and coolant leaks. I have already seen this with subaru. The a/c tensioner pulleys that were on the 2000-2001 + are plastic with a cheaper bearing and I've been replacing them with the earlier metal versions.

• 5 weeks later...

yep the newly debuted Impreza has the FB20, the 2.0 variation. Smaller, lighter, it propels the newest Impreza a little quicker than the older 2.5, even though it has less power, it still scoots and is rated at 36mpg on the highway in CVT form.

Those figures best the base Chevrolet Cruze, Chrysler 200, Ford Focus, Mazda3, Nissan Sentra, Suzuki Kizashi, Toyota Corolla, and Volkswagen Jetta - all with automatic transmissions and without all-wheel drive, a feature that traditionally exacts a notable mileage penalty.

I hope Subaru goes to the smaller 2.0 in the entire lineup by year 2014. That would give legacy around 35mpg highway when they do.

Good job Subaru for going all out for best gas mileage.

Edited by bheinen74

You can probably get to it from the bottom. Or maybe just have to remove the radiator fan on that side for clearance. A lot better than having to remove all the timing belt stuff.

Yeah definitely better than removing all that timing belt crap. I was thinking the catalytic converter running underneath would be in the way of doing the pump from the bottom. Either way I definitely prefer this design over the previous EJ SO FAR. Don't know if the catalytic converter being so close to the oil pan will cause the oil to sludge up. Every Toyota Camry we've ever had has always been a sludge factory because the cat is so close to the oil filter keeping the oil hot.

Jordan, refer back to the picture on the first page. The water pump is at the bottom right of the motor, where it has been for a long time. I think it wouldn't be bad at all to change. I would think you wouldn't have to remove the radiator.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the water pump is at the bottom right of the photograph. It's actually at the bottom left of the motor.

same as Subaru heritage dictates, down left, same as the EA71/EA81 like on Brat.

That ea81 was second best subaru engine, no timing belts, non interference like the ej22 of early. yay Subaru of America finally gives us what we have asked for

But they need make them Small like tiny, and have aFWD all the time, with a push button for AWD

Engineers here looking please note, that a 2.0 FB coupled to the original 4spd dual range in front drive mode will get 42mpg easy. do you watch my posts???? add 5th gear you get 45mpg......get this then add 6th gear OD get 50mph.....

but no you engineers do not follow enough of this board, but you are trying for mpg so follow more, mkay

.............bh

Edited by bheinen74

I must be misunderstanding. The EA81 was on the right side of the engine, as facing it from the front.

For clarity and consistency, directions (left & right) on a vehicle are always given from the point of view of the driver sitting behind the steering wheel! :)

• 1 month later...

For those of you that worship the black Subaru Tokyo Roki oil filters, they're back for the FB engine only in North America.

It's part number 15208AA130. I sure hope they'll use it for the whole FB engine lineup, Tokyo Roki makes excellent oil filters! :banana:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2165966

It is sadly, not compatible with the EJ engines, but I have high hopes for the Subaru FB engine :)

Is this Subaru admitting some fault with former filters of some sort, that they go back to what they know is best for the newest boxer engines?

perhaps.

For those of you that worship the black Subaru Tokyo Roki oil filters, they're back for the FB engine only in North America.

It's part number 15208AA130. I sure hope they'll use it for the whole FB engine lineup, Tokyo Roki makes excellent oil filters! :banana:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2165966

It is sadly, not compatible with the EJ engines, but I have high hopes for the Subaru FB engine :)

• 5 months later...