Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i know this guy on another website (dont know if he's on here) that has a 1997 Subaru Impreza with the EJ22. he's been thinking about swapping to the EJ25. is that a good idea??? im familiar with how damn good the EJ22 is, but havent really heard positive stuff about the EJ25, or much of anything about it for that matter, except that doing headgaskets is a night mare. what do you people say about this swap? i think he should keep the EJ22.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

The general consensus woude state that the ej25d engine is prone to HG failure(poor coolant maintenance) and is an interference engine if the timing belt lets go.

Generally, for cheap, if a car has an ej25d that pukes, an ej22 of the same generation is swapped in, non interference, not as prone to HG with older head design.

If you do the swap, use new timing belt parts, and bench build the head gaskets with the updated design before installing, and you will be MUCH better for longevity

The general consensus woude state that the ej25d engine is prone to HG failure(poor coolant maintenance) and is an interference engine if the timing belt lets go.

Generally, for cheap, if a car has an ej25d that pukes, an ej22 of the same generation is swapped in, non interference, not as prone to HG with older head design.

If you do the swap, use new timing belt parts, and bench build the head gaskets with the updated design before installing, and you will be MUCH better for longevity

well, i will ask but i dont know if he will be using the EJ25d. he has an EJ22 NA in the car right now. he wants to use a EJ25 from a WRX Sti, but i told him he should just build he EJ22. plus, like you said the EJ22 is NOT an interference engine, so thats great. i personally hate interference motors cause timing belts could go unexpecedly at any time. ive seen people but new timing belts on and have them go three days later (not on Subaru's, 1 VW, a Chrysler that i cant remember, and a Ford Focus. ) it pretty damn rare, but its one of those little things i personally wouldnt want to chance. the kid (well shouldnt say that he's 22) seem to know a lot about Subaru's too, he named off all the engines like "I" didnt already know. know i want to ask if he knows that the EJ22 is not an interference engine, so im going to.

plus, which WRX turbo'd engine is the best: the EJ25 or the EJ20? i personally like the EJ20 series.

I'm currently swapping a 1998 EJ25D into my 1997 Impreza Brighton. Its cheap and easy extra 25hp over the ej22, and an extra 65hp over my 200,000+ mile EJ18.

WRX and STi swaps are wayyyy more expensive and involved... I think he would better off boosting the ej22...

A ´97 EJ22 is most likely an interference engine also.

I wouldn´t reccommend a DOHC EJ25 but the SOHC is a reliable engine once you´ve done the first head gasket repair with a reliable shop (or yourself if you know how to do it). I rallycross a ´97 wagon with a stock EJ22 engine and compete mostly against EJ25 or turbo cars in modified class and can hold my own quite well even on dry courses. It would be nice to have the extra horsepower but I haven´t seen a real need to do the upgrade.

plus, like you said the EJ22 is NOT an interference engine, so thats great.

I dont wanna barge in here with my 11 posts contradicting the experts, but I was 99% sure that 97 EJ22s ARE interference engines. I dropped one into my 97 OBW (as I also thought it was non-interference) but was told otherwise by a few reliable sources.

As far as swapping an EJ25 into an EJ22, would not suggest it. Like is said, i threw an EJ22 into my OBW, and the power difference (although noticeable) is merely a small inconvenience. For the amount of work, and the loss of reliability, i would say NO. If you guys like changing engines for fun, the do whatever you want, but if reliability is the wildcard, stick with the EJ22 that runs good.

If you guys are doing Turbo swaps, then disregard my rant about the EJ25, I'm just letting you know it is an extremely unreliable motor if you compare it to the EJ22 of that era.

The 97 ej22 IS interference. It has different pistons than the previous models and has a bit more power. They can also blow head gaskets. That's what I spent the better part of my day today working on...

Thank you for confirming. I'm pretty sure that every engine produced 97 and later was interference. Subaru re-designed the heads and pistons to reduce friction and weight. The end result was an interference engine, but if you change your timing belt AND YOUR IDLERS/TENSIONER, that should never be a problem.

Timing belt is a quick and cheap job, and only needs to be done every 160,000km (100,000 miles). Spend the extra 100$ for the idlers and tensioner (plus 50 for the belt on ebay) and it ends up being cheap insurance, considering your next change will be at 320,000km!

So bottom line, change your timing or change your engine.

Heh, I'm the guy he is talking about. I guess I should state whats going on with the car. At the moment I a working to make her a V3 STi Type RA clone, roof vent is on the way, as that's what I would have if I was in Japan. I have most of the exterior done and I have been working on the interior slowly with a beige to gray interior swap. The motor plans are that I will keep the 2.2 till I swap and I wont do a swap till I get the interior and the exterior done as those are the harder parts to get. The swaps that I am looking at are either a EJ207, EJ255, or a EJ257. I would get the motor, rebuild it, and then keep it around 280-290 awdhp. I would then get a JDM STi 5 speed with DCCD and 4.44 and call it good for a while. This is how she currently sits, pardon the fender and trunk, got hit and its now upgrade time:

IMG_20110301_173748.jpg

current.jpg

The current mod list: JDM Light Weight Beam, V4 STi Front Bumper, V4 STi Fog Light Covers, V4 STi Fog Lights, De-badged Trunk, RS Coupe Spoiler, JDM 'I' Badge, RS hood, RS Wiper Arms, USDM Flat Fuel Door, 2004 Forester XT front brakes, 2002 WRX Rear Hubs, 2003 WRX Rear Brakes, Legacy SS Master Cylinder, Noltec Polyurethane Trailing Arm Bushings, GD STi Pitch stop, Whiteline front strut tower brace, ebay Rear strut tower brace, WRX 20mm rear sway bar, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Pro Springs, 2002 WRX front and rear seats, 2006 WRX black carpet, 02-07 WRX Pedal set, JDM STi shift knob, Legacy GT Intermittent Wiper Switch, Gray Interior Trim Conversion.

Edited by Camio_Fox500

Nothing wrong with the EJ25D, I could get one from a guy who did a swap, do a full gasket reseal, new belts, and new idlers and tensioners and I would have a reliable motor that would give me more power, and it would be dual port. Personally the 2.2 sucks at my elevation and I get bad gas mileage for the motor size. I average about 15MPG with the 2.2 and a buddy with a 2.5 gets about 21MPG. I will more than likely do a 2.5 swap as it would allow me to learn how to work on the motors and a power bump like I want. On the note of the 1997 Impreza's, they are an odd year as the face lift was happening, the phase I and phase II motor change over, and some JDM STi parts came stock on some cars. While other 97s got parts from the 96 and the late 97's had 98 parts. The motors were hit or miss as to the one that you got as I have a phase I motor, non interference, while the lady across the street has a phase II and her car has a build date of Dec 1996.

Edited by Camio_Fox500

Nothing wrong with the EJ25D

I don't hate the motor. It's just the worst one that Subaru made, i'd still rather have it than a 2.2 Ecotec :lol:

I also agree with you about the fuel mileage. For putting around town I find its better, but we live in a town where you dont go over 30 km/hr. At highway speed I feel like I have to wind out the 2.2 for a real long time to get around another car, and MUST burn lots more fuel as a result.

You're saying a build date 96. MY 97 phase2 ej22? that's interesting. I thought the first build date of the phae2 ej22 was 97. I have a wiring harness like that hanging around.

Subaru was hit or miss with what cars got the phase II EJ22 in 97, transition year cars odd for that reason.

I don't hate the motor. It's just the worst one that Subaru made, i'd still rather have it than a 2.2 Ecotec :lol:

I also agree with you about the fuel mileage. For putting around town I find its better, but we live in a town where you dont go over 30 km/hr. At highway speed I feel like I have to wind out the 2.2 for a real long time to get around another car, and MUST burn lots more fuel as a result.

For the every day person, the 25D is a bad motor, but for the performance guys we really can look past the HG fault as the motor does take to performance parts a little better. You would get better millage than I would as your down close to sea level, I on the other hand live at 5,776 ft (1,761 M). In the city I average about 15MPG, and on the freeway I get about 22MPG. The 25D might be a troublesome motor, but I would do better from the MPG bump and the power bump up here at elevation.

• 1 year later...

I would not go as far to say its the worst engine they ever made mine is still running at 315,000 miles and running strong only had to reseal the rear main and valve covers once and the water pump just started leaking i left the stock one on just to see how long it would last since it is so easy to do a timing belt on any subaru. i have owned 1.8 2.2 and 2.5 and 2.0 and i say they are all decent engines depending on application and needs.