Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

How can I tell if the engine in my 90 legacy is the original? If not, is there a way to tell what year the engine is? Also, it is my understanding that the 2.2 engine 90-94 are the same but 95 and above have EGR components...is that correct?

Thanks

'95 to '98 *automatic's* have EGR.
most do, but not all. there's no 100% verifiable way to tell if an EJ22 has EGR...at least for the 97 and 98 years. i mean it's like 99% or something really high, but not quite all. quite annoying when you're looking for info or parts for that 1%.

The reason I ask is because I have a 90 legacy with 330k on it and I have no idea of the history of the car, I got it for free, just had to hook the clutch cable up and change fluids. It had been sitting for 3 years before I gained control and the previous owner didn't know what had been done prior to his ownership...I was just trying to see if it was the original engine...

Would this engine fit in a 97 OBW?

so maybe this is the question I need answered. I am looking at a 97 OBW manual that has a blown head gasket and front main seal oil leak. Will my 90 2.2 manual fit in the 97 OBW?

it will bolt in and run just fine, but since the 90 does not have an egr system it will throw a code. if you live in an emissions state, your car may not pass the inspection with a CEL code.

however you could correct it by using the intake manifold from an egr car, 95 - 98 2.2L automatic (probably), and drill and tap the drivers side head for the egr pipe.

if you live in a non emissions state and don't mind the CEL, swap it in and drive on.

I think that 330K miles on a motor is just too many miles to make it a worthwhile transplant to the 97. For the work involved, you would be far better off finding another motor with far fewer miles to transplant.

Your point about the mileage is well taken...I am not sure if it is the original engine or not.

I guess the other option would be to pop the engine out of the 97 and reseal it

sell the 1990 legacy whole, fix it enough to make it a daily driver for someone and sell it outright for $500. use the money to buy a 95 - 98 2.2L engine. do the swap.

the risk on re-sealing the 2.5L engine is that you don't know how severely it was over heated.

it is not unheard of for a resealed ej25 to end up with rod knock.

sell the 1990 legacy whole, fix it enough to make it a daily driver for someone and sell it outright for $500. use the money to buy a 95 - 98 2.2L engine. do the swap.

the risk on re-sealing the 2.5L engine is that you don't know how severely it was over heated.

it is not unheard of for a resealed ej25 to end up with rod knock.

the 90 is my daily driver now...it is just wearing out, I could probably fix everything that it needs...needs alot of tlc, thanks for the advice!