Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback totalled... EA->EJ251 swap?

xbeerd

man, where were you in 09 when this crap started. LOL! i posted somewhere on here about this back then but i cant find it

yeah, dunno if i'll make it out to the yard, only bummer is that the yards around here, if they even have a subaru, is a 99 and prior, HOWEVER, i heard they are getting a 03 LGT which may help. problem also is that all the TPS in there are the 3 pin, where as i have a 4 pin, im sure i could probably just take the 3pin connector and swipe a 3 pin TPS and make it fit, i dunno the reason for the different TPS, both only have 3 actual contacts. i may have to take a half day tomorrow to go for it now that i think about it just to try it out.

im with you tho... i never pull on the wires themselves.

i think i will be keepin the 4eat (and necessary components) when we pull this stuff. so i can make up my mind when the time comes, i wanna be done with this by mid june for a couple subaru dealer shows in/around town.

Edited by xbeerd

Mechanically, it should be one of the easiest EJ swaps done if you get the Loyale 4eat crossmembers and driveshaft. The wiring will be a bit more work, but worth it I think.

You can try de-pinning the connector and soldering the wires back to the pins if you can find the break. Easier to just swap the connector and pigtail, but it's an alternative if you can't find one.

yeah, my buddy who was going to do a ej tranny swap in a xt (Monster Wedge actually) but isnt going to do it, he's got the brackets needed and the driveshaft for me for $125.

gonna head out towards the junkyard after lunch.. in the snow.. and see whats up with this 03 LGT they have.

Mechanically, it should be one of the easiest EJ swaps done if you get the Loyale 4eat crossmembers and driveshaft.

2000 4eat is a Phase II trans. (8 bolt bell, spin on filter, 2 VSS and a Torque sensor)

These trans are about 2-3 inches shorter than the EA82 and other pre-98 4eats.

Not the easy bolt in that you speak of. That would work well with a pre-98 4EAT.

Besides, 4EAT's hydraulic 4wd transfer is not any more reliable than the gears of a D/R 5spd. Either way, if you are REALLY wheelin' you will break something.

so your sayin that wether i use the 4eat or d/r5spd its coming down to preference rather than reliability due to beating it?

this car is most likely not goin to see anything more than a crappy dirt road, let alone a off road trail.

im just tryin to capitalize on free parts retained from this wrecked OB.

Edited by xbeerd

• 9 months later...
Having the actual code would help, but yeah, there's a problem with the wiring, computer, or sensors if it's throwing a code. It's not the transmissions fault if it's getting the wrong signals from the engine. Should be easily fixable, esp with the harness all taken apart for the swap.

Even with mild offroad, the auto is much better than a manual. Not having to slip the clutch or get abusive with speed to make it over things is a huge advantage. Being able to use a wiring mod to lock it in true 4wd is a big advantage over the AWD manual transmissions, where you can get stuck with one wheel in the air and the other 3 with good traction. Plus, the auto is way stronger than any 5spd subaru put out.

can u deliberate more about the wiring mod for the lock ?

thank you.

look up duty c mod or grey wire mod or 50/50 mod (for 4eat of course). is usmb search doesnt help, try google. it usually brings up usmb threads anyway. hth RV

thank you very much for the info.

for now as much as I found I don't see people found the need to mod the 2002 version.

I have an 02 impreza outback sport.