Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 rebuild- pin bushings question

Hi guys. Currently rebuilding an ej22.. machine shop suggested new bushings for the little ends just as a precaution, not due to measured wear.

I've never had an issue with pin bushings on all the EA and EJ stuff I've done to date. I think this fellow is used to pressed-in pins with a friction fit. Seems like a wasted effort to me but I thought I would see what the collective experience here was with this part of the deal.

I wouldn't touch them. They are a pain to install and get right. I don't know about the Subaru one's but when I have done wrist pin bushings in the past they have had to be honed to size after installation.

I have never heard of anyone having to replace them. Typically you just buy new rods and they come installed.

GD

Thanks guys.

I am not flooded with options out my way. This fellow and his shop have done 2 other motors for me so far and everything has seemed to go good.

He is either trying to be thorough which I can appreciate.. or maybe he mixed up my pins which I had bagged and numbered.

Stuff should be done today or tomorrow.. we'll see!