Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How similar are the R160 Differentials???

Are all of the R160 diffs the same, as far as them accepting the 25 spline 26mm dia axle ends? I use these diffs in kit cars that I build and have been using the Forester diff with the 4:11 gear ratio and the viscus LSD. I am intrested in using one with the clutch pack LSD but not sure if the axles will fit.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

As far as I know, all the R160s are externally identical with the only differences being the gearing inside. Having said that, 4.11 is the most common gear set, as near as I can tell, so you shouldn't feel like you need to limit yourself to the Foresters.

I would defer to Scoobywagon on this unless my memory gets corroborated, but IIRC, there is a difference as far as side-bearing retainers and matching stub-axles. This makes it so that axles have to match the stub-axle type, and there may be differences as to what stub-axles fit which diff "chunks".

This is meant to be more of a "I think there is a difference" post rather then me saying that I know what the differences are.

All the clutch-type LSD's here in the US are setup for bolt-in stubs that are not part of the DOJ cup like the Forester axles you have been using. Thus to do this I think you will have to get one from some other country..... or use first gen Legacy axles.

There are Helical LSD's out there - probably in 4.111 - that could be sourced. They aren't cheap but they do exist.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder