Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got some questions about my ea81

Some info on the engine: It's from an 82 GL wagon. It's currently completely disassembled, and just about ready for me to start putting it back together, but I've got some questions so here goes:

1. So the metal EGR hose that goes between the head and the intake manifold has been cut and crimped before I got it. I would assume this renders the EGR system useless. So can I take off the EGR valve and make a plate to cover the hole? Is it worth the work?

2. I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the intake manifold for an ea82 carby one. Is it pretty much plug and play?

3. Is there any other junk I can eliminate from the carb? I don't have to worry about emissions - I'm looking to get the best mpg possible.

4. What is the best way to get the oil pickup tube to come out of the block?

5. I'm also putting a 5spd in the car. I've read mentions of Jerry's kit. What does it consist of? Is it essential for the swap or does it just make it easier?

6. I don't know what to call it, but on my 5spd tranny the place where the shifter anchors (at the bottom of the stick) is pretty worn out. Is there a place to get new parts for this?

Thanks for any help, I may have more questions as things progress, but this is all I can think of right now. :)

Some info on the engine: It's from an 82 GL wagon. It's currently completely disassembled, and just about ready for me to start putting it back together, but I've got some questions so here goes:

1. So the metal EGR hose that goes between the head and the intake manifold has been cut and crimped before I got it. I would assume this renders the EGR system useless. So can I take off the EGR valve and make a plate to cover the hole? Is it worth the work?

Why not?removing the EGR mess can help in simplifying the engine bay.While your at it ditch the ASV system as well.The holes in the exhaust manifold can be sealed by unscrewing the nut that holds the tubes in and sticking a quarter in place of the tube then tightening everything back up again.

2. I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the intake manifold for an ea82 carby one. Is it pretty much plug and play?

yep plug and play provided you have an EA81 rather than EA71.USE DEALER intake gaskets cause the after market ones SUCK and are prone to failure.

3. Is there any other junk I can eliminate from the carb? I don't have to worry about emissions - I'm looking to get the best mpg possible.

Ditch the stock EA81/EA82 carb and put a weber on it.You get rid of a ton of vacuum lines and can tune the weber how you like it.

4. What is the best way to get the oil pickup tube to come out of the block?

vise grips? pliers?

5. I'm also putting a 5spd in the car. I've read mentions of Jerry's kit. What does it consist of? Is it essential for the swap or does it just make it easier?

makes it easier.However,I am not sure whats really is in the kit because I didn't use it when I put my five speed in.

6. I don't know what to call it, but on my 5spd tranny the place where the shifter anchors (at the bottom of the stick) is pretty worn out. Is there a place to get new parts for this?

the rubber piece? shifter bushing?pics might help here.One sure fire way to fix that would be to go to the junkyard and find a better piece than what you have.

Thanks for any help, I may have more questions as things progress, but this is all I can think of right now. :)

sure, no problem.

Edited by Uberoo

As far as the EA82 carb intake swap, I'd say go for it. Especially if you're going with a Weber swap.

It has a larger port opening where the carb bolts vs the EA81. So if you go with larger carb, why not have a larger carb port?

Some work needs to be done to ease fitment of it around the EA81 disty, but other than that, it's a direct swap.

EA82 lower radiator hose fits for the upper radiator return hose with some trimming.

Thanks for the replies and the info guys.

Uberoo: Thanks for all the good info!

I'm not sure what an ASV system is.

I know the Weber is WAY better, and I'll probably get one in the future, but right now I don't feel like dropping $300+ when the stock one is still doing okay. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to the stock one to improve it.

I will try to get some pics of that shifter problem. Gotta get some camera batteries first...

Jerry: Thanks for chiming in! I'll be calling you soon.

You can't use an EA82 intake manifold with the EA81 Hitachi carb. They use a different bolt pattern. Trust me - you don't want an EA82 Hitachi either.

Do the SPFI swap. Forget about the carbs.

Buy Jerry's kit. It's well worth the $100 you will spend.

Don't remove the oil pickup from the block. Why do you wish to?

If you don't do the SPFI swap then find a replacement EGR tube and return the EGR to correct functioning. There's no need to block it.

GD

Thanks for the input GD. Good to know the ea82 manifold is not compatible with the ea81 hitachi. I will think about doing the spfi swap because I have most of the parts on hand.

As far as the oil pickup tube, I thought there was a O ring in there that would be wise to replace.

Here's a pic of my shifter problem. This is right at the bottom of the shifter stick. My question is where is the best place to get a replacement for this? What is it called?

XnFTn.jpg

This is my 5spd tranny. I never drove the car this was in, so I don't know for sure if it has any problems, I doubt it has any serious problems, as I was told the car was not running because of electrical issues. The back half of it is all covered with oil though as you can see. So I'm wondering if there is a way to determine if this oil leaked from the engine, or if this tranny has a leak somewhere. I would imagine if it was from the engine, the front of the tranny would be more oily. What is involved with resealing a tranny?

xrKVV.jpg