Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was going to go with a snorkel at first and spent over $100 in crap to do it and realized there was just no way of doing it without it looking like a redneck piece of trash. SO I would like to have a cone air filter located JUST behind the throttle body. So far I have a piece of 3" flexible intake hose, a cone air filter, a pcv valve system plug-in thingy, and the wrong MAF sensor adapter. Has anybody else tried this? There's a bunch of different hoses associated with pcv and they seem to have a method to their madness... could I simplify it and just hook them all together and hook them into the intake? And there's also a big bastard hose that hooks into the intake closer to the MAF sensor. And does anybody have a part number for the right MAF sensor adapter part? I've searched and searched and can't find one. Apparently nobody's ever put a cold air intake on an EJ22 EVER.

OR I could just stick that box back in the fender (is there an easy way of doing that? getting the fender off was a real pain) if that's the best way to keep water out. I drove through some pretty deep water (lapping at the end of the hood, headlights completely underwater) and I don't think any water got sucked in although it sure did seem like it was bogging towards the end of the pond. And also... how does water get into the transaxle? The dip-stick hole? Are there any vents like on the diff?

I just want something I can take in headlight deep water on a regular basis and not have to worry about anything. Sorry for the oh so long thread.

And also... how does water get into the transaxle? The dip-stick hole? Are there any vents like on the diff?

There are vents on both the transmission and rear diff. Auto trans has separate vents for trans and front diff. You can put check valves on the vent hoses to help keep water out. It also helps to lengthen the vent hoses, move the end up high to an area where you don't expect water to be. Or drill holes in the floor and run the ends of the hoses inside the car then seal around them to keep water from rushing in while you're in the drink.

Water can get in through any outer seal though, so check all oils after every under-water adventure.