Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think it's dying... rod knock in EJ22

I thought I had a collapsed lifter in the 1990 Legacy... but upon further inspection, that's not lifter click that I'm hearing.. I'm pretty certain it's a rod knocking. It's a deeper sound, more to the back of the engine in the middle, than the side, and if you take the drivers side rear spark plug wire off, it goes away... Only 329,125 miles on it... geeesh :rolleyes: It starts right up at -10F, and passed emissions with flying colors last fall, and doesn't really burn oil.

It also needs new brakes, wheel bearings, struts, tie rods, as well as having a whole host of other quirks. Guess maybe it's time for it to be a parts car, and find another matching one to drive, eh...

Throw some lucas bearing fix in a bottle in it and never change the oil again. Worked to get another year out of a mitusbishi 3.0l v6 a friend had. Car was a POS so it wasn't worth fixing, but it paid for itself by limping along.

Yea, I would prolly do what is advised above. Just drive it till it dies with thick oil, like 20W-50W, and the Lucas bearing fix, and never change the oil again. I had a car like that, I called it my "Town Car," meaning I wouldn't drive it out of town, and in town, only on city streets, never on interstates, and never venturing more then about 5 miles from where I live. When it finally broke down, it was no big deal.

Maybe put some cheap brake pads on it, fix nothing else, and drive on as is.