Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Gl hatch power steering

Hey guys im new to the forum and the subaru game, and Ive got a couple questions. I recently bought a 1987 subaru gl hatchback with a ea81 engine in it. It came with manual steering, and its something i cant stand. So we went to a pick and pull and pulled the ring and pinion and all that, then got a pump with the pulley on it. Now we are stuck, I know the general area of where to mount it (about centered infront of hte airbox) but i have no idea what it mounts too. Any pictures or info would be awesome, or letting me know if this will even work

Thanks

Cameron

Sounds like you bought EA82 power steering stuff.

You need an EA81 pump, which mounts to the passenger side of block. Has a long snout. There is also a tensioner bracket that goes on the lower passenger side, front of engine.

The rack also is different. youneed one for an EA81. Also you need the steering ocupler with it. You're non-power coupler is different.

Can you find a picture of an actual ea81 power steering pump? ive searched for hours on where they are installed, where to buy them and instructions or anything, and its damn near impossible. I found a member selling a mounting kit for an ea82 pump. how can you tell the difference between a 81 and 82 rack? the 87 gl we pulled that out of had the engine taken already so we went for it

Thank you for all your help!

hi,

i have added p/s to my 84 wagon , same setup as you are looking for. if i might suggest you ought to be looking for a complete setup in a doner car. I am not positive but i have seen others post that the entire front crossmember is needed also because the P/S one is not the same as M/S ones. i did change mine out but did not confirm if it is definately different or not. you are going to need all the lines and a crank pulley that has the p/s belt groove and all the mounting bolts and brackets for the pump, the front one and the rear one, and the steering shaft connector. you will be waaay ahead finding a complete setup to take off, and it gives you the advantage of seeing how it all fits.

You can only run the EA82 style pump if you have the EA81 Turbo water pump, crank pulley, and alternator pulley as well. And you will need to have custom lines made up between the pump and the rack. It can be done though. If you are near Portland you can drop by and check out the setup on my wagon if you like. PM me (once you get to 10 posts) or leave a profile message or something.

You will still need the EA81 power steering rack and cross-member. That's a different beast than what you have and it will take some searching - most EA81's didn't come with power steering so you have to find a high-end model.

The true EA81 power steering pump is a BIG sucker that's off to the passenger side of the engine - it requires big mounting bracket, an idler that hangs down under the engine by the pan (and is vulnerable down there), and a different upper radiator hose and thermostat housing.

And being that you have a hatchback - you need to be looking for parts from '80 to '84. Most '87s are EA82's and are almost entirely different. EA81 parts are getting scarce and harder to find now. They are still great cars but not well suited to daily driving anymore due to the lack of availible parts for them.

Are you the one that bought Ryan's lifted hatch? :rolleyes:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

thanks for all your help guys, its a group project between me and some friends and have decided to just leave manual steering until we do our ej22t swap. GD im waiting to get my 10 posts so i can pm you with some questions about swaps parts if you wouldnt mind helping!

• 4 weeks later...