Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What I found under the hood.

About 3 weeks ago had an O2 sensor replaced on the passenger side (think they called it something else)...had the oil changed and they replaced my ps fluid. Since then I have had a buzzing/rattle on the passenger side. Have not been able to get back to the shop to check it out. Today i saw something that look suspicious....first pic is to give you the area...left side as you are looking at the engine.

post-37631-136027646889_thumb.jpg

Now closer....can you see the part that is separated?

post-37631-136027646892_thumb.jpg

That eventually goes to the air filter. Did the mechanic break this? I assume this is supposed to function as 1 piece.

What is this?

o.k. - you got them posted but they suck.

Atleast I can't blow them up simply.

Look closely. I know nothing about cars. Looks liks an air intake. That "pipe" goes to the air filter in the back. There is a little tub on the left middle...which it is now not connected to...my guess is that "hose/pipe" is supposed to be connected. Don't understand the function.

Check your email.

BTW, buzzing/rattling is usually associated with heat shields on the exhaust system. Annoying but not life threatening. The noise can be eliminated cheaply with a few sheet metal screws or large hose clamps or a very loud radio.

Edited by brus brother

the pics are so small they aren't going to be much help to us so we can help you. but if this stuff started after a visit to a shop, you need to get them to fix it.

however it might be wise to get a second opinion before you go back so you KNOW what is going on and if they tell you anything different you'll know.

if you can get us better pics we may be able to help you better.

Just curious, did the power steering fluid really need replacing or did your wallet need emptying?

There was some squeaking when turning to the extreme. Especially first starting out. Someone else found no prob. These guys found no prob....put in a synthetic lifetime ps fluid. Still have the prob.

There was some squeaking when turning to the extreme. Especially first starting out. Someone else found no prob. These guys found no prob....put in a synthetic lifetime ps fluid. Still have the prob.

How old are the power belts (PS and Alternator) on the car. Just changed mine out at 105,000 miles and while they looked OK from the outside, they were shot on the inside! YIKES. There was a bit of a squeal right after the new ones were installed that disappeared with the corrected tension.

So, you still have the problem and they have your $$.

I hate listening to some service managers. They sound worse than aluminum siding salesmen.

Please ask questions here before spending your cash. There are some very talented members who are generous with their time and knowledge that have helped me enormously and taught me a thing or three.

Just curious, did the power steering fluid really need replacing or did your wallet need emptying?

Goin' with the latter here...

Chances are you just need a belt.

Pics are too small to tell exactly what has broken away from the intake tube. Probably one of the baffle chambers as they seem to break from time to time. Not really important, but since it is behind the air filter you want to get that hole sealed up to avoid sucking dirt into your engine.

Its in front of the air filter so its not that big a deal. The air filter on that car would be behind the throttle body, that piece (yes pic is small) is on the duct to the filter. It might make a rattle noise.

I would check to make sure they got the air filter shoved down into the tabs at the bottom of the air box and the bolt on the drivers side in the hole correctly. Very common to see it not right.

I can see what is in the picutures!! Maybe my tender 35 years gives me good eyesight :rolleyes:

Anyway, nothing is broken, those two things just need to be pressed together again. The part on top has been off, in order to fill power steering fluid into the reservoir below it.

Sqeaking is likely to be belts. IF they have been tensioned too hard, the bearing in the pump might be worn out, and it can be quite noisy too.