Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about a 85 GL-10

We just got a nice 85 gl-10. Its got tinted windows 5sp d/r and its a ea82 MPFI non turbo. The car needs a new motor but the heads have the dual ports for the intake cuz of the mpfi. So we cant just put any ea82 in it. I dont know if the heads are any good. The car runs but water is in the oil and there is alot of different lines unhooked for the intake.

The question is would anyone be interested in buying the whole car and just swaping a ej into it. Its halfway ready with the mpfi.

I dont have the money to buy the adapters and harness and motor for the swap.

Im goin to take the rear disc brakes off and put on drum brake that I have.

I just dont know what to do with the car yet.

It has the digi dash with black and red interior. The body is straight except the driver fender by the parklight.

Let me know what your guys thoughts are and what you think I should do.

Thanks Clay

how much are you seeling it for??? i might be intersted if you dont take the rear disc off. i live in Kennewick WA.

oh, and if you want to keep it, it sounds like you just need headgaskets. if you do that and it takes care of the water in the oil, then you would have a good car that would work for you till the end of time.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

Yes absolutely certain that its a mpfi. Its just like the gl-10 turbos just without a turbo. Its not just a headgasket. I think the blocks got a crack in it too. Thats why It needs a complete replace of the motor. The heads are most likely cracked too. Theres water shoting out. Thats why I say it would be perfect setup for a nice wagon with a ej22 in it.

Heres a pic of the car.

5526686197_d5da081bb5_m.jpg

So maybe we should just sell the car like it is. Maybe someone here would be interested in swaping a ej22 into this nice gl-10.

Cuz if not I could get a motor but its spfi and then you have to change the harness and if your goin to go that far might as well just do the 22 harness swap and do it that way.

I dont know what else to do unless we part it out and scrap it but it such a nice car I dont wanta have to scrap it.

Thanks Clay

Just swap the MPFI heads onto a carb or SPFI EA82 block. They are turbo heads but the compression ratio is 9.0:1 or 9.5:1.

Yes they did build the GL-10's in '85 with the N/A MPFI - I have seen a few. They are rare and because of that they are not desireble. That was a single-year engine and has a lot of odd bits that are difficult to find. The SPFI came out in '86 and replaced that engine.

GD

DON'T PART IT OUT!!!

If that truely has the black and red interior, its also known (well what I've heard it refered to as) the pimp interior because only '85 GL-10s got such a thing but it was an option. I've seen a few N/A GL-10s especially '85s.

Maybe I can talk to my girlfriend and maybe get this from you....:banana:

I know. I wanted to keep it just for interior. Its sweet with black. Ive never seen black in a subi and I love it. Its like seatin in a cadi. :banana:

i wanted to put everything in my girls loyale or save it for my own car lol

Love that black dont really like the red part but do like the black.

Just let me know.

I also found out today the car was a automatic cuz on the digi dash in the corner is PRND21, but some changed it cuz it has a 5sp d/r in it.

Thanks Clay

Just swap the MPFI heads onto a carb or SPFI EA82 block. They are turbo heads but the compression ratio is 9.0:1 or 9.5:1.

Yes they did build the GL-10's in '85 with the N/A MPFI - I have seen a few. They are rare and because of that they are not desireble. That was a single-year engine and has a lot of odd bits that are difficult to find. The SPFI came out in '86 and replaced that engine.

GD

Thanks GD, I was wanting to do that. But I think these heads are completely shot. You turn it over water, if you put some in it, will shot out of the rad like a erupting volcano with the cap off. :confused:

Thanks Clay

DON'T PART IT OUT!!!

If that truely has the black and red interior, its also known (well what I've heard it refered to as) the pimp interior because only '85 GL-10s got such a thing but it was an option. I've seen a few N/A GL-10s especially '85s.

Maybe I can talk to my girlfriend and maybe get this from you....:banana:

Well did you talk wit your GF? My father n law wants it gone. He just wants some money outta it. Now I wish I would have paid for it instead of him. I just cant get over the nice interior:banana:

Let me know Caboobaroo, Im goin to be postin it in the vehicle for sale section.

Thanks Clay

OK subi gang. I need your help and advise. I want to just give my father n law the money he paid for the car and keep it as my build. Im slowly starting my own business out of my girls parents shop.

So I need advise Subi gang.

What would I exactly need, Im thinkin of gettin a parts car like a 2.2 lego. I want to swap over the ej22 and the tranny and suspension. Put some xt6 parts if I can so that its all 5lug swap and then I want put some 17" wheels and tires. Then sell the car. It will give me money to help pay bills and show some of my work off and what I can do.

TIA for all your help

Thanks Clay