Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Use Advance auto in Milwaukee. I have done 6 engine tranplants with them so far. I have another one there now.

35th and state 414-342-3407 ask for Tony. When you do the swap, reseal the engine, do the water pump, timing belt cam seal, reseal oil pump etc. There's a complete list that you can search here of to do items if you want to keep it for a while. Obviously, It's easy to do it while it is out of the car.

D'Agostino won't buy the motor from you, but they will help you load it into your car so you can sell it yourself. I work there in the summers (as a mechanic). Marciel can do an engine swap in one day if you start at 8am. If you want to reseal, water pump, timing belt, idle tensioner and pulleys it might be a 2 day job. There are a few lousy motels in the area you can stay at if housing is needed.

Use Advance auto in Milwaukee. I have done 6 engine tranplants with them so far. I have another one there now.

35th and state 414-342-3407 ask for Tony. When you do the swap, reseal the engine, do the water pump, timing belt cam seal, reseal oil pump etc. There's a complete list that you can search here of to do items if you want to keep it for a while. Obviously, It's easy to do it while it is out of the car.

i AM HAVING THIS SHOP DO THE WHEEL BEARING IN THE FORESTER, since i do not have the right tools.

We have a Subaru Alliance here in milwaukee, and a shop space. i have an engine crane, and have a shop full of old school soobs. Once i finish this ea82 head gasket, we could do the swap in an afternoon.

414-793-7728

I am available after 5 pm tue-thurs, and the rest of the week is for working on cars.

Depending on cost comparison, we can do the head gaskets for within the price of another motor to swap. HG's are not the end of the world, and once fixed, are beter than new.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still trying to nail down that I definitely have rod knock and I will proceed with a swap if I do.

Well, if you want I could come listen to it, I'm only in Waukesha. Make sure its not a lifter first, I have heard some EJ and EA lifters sound like rod knock when they collapse.

What kinda car are we talking about here? Impreza?

-Tom

Mike, after listening to your car, my opinion is it sounds more like a Lifter thats dirty or worn. Its a higher pitched metacllic noise Vs. a Rod knock which is a bit deeper in tone.

But let us know what Sommers says about it, they probably won't be able to give you any advice unless they tear into it and charge you.

Some of these youtube videos are of people filming a lifter tick, and thinking its a knock and falsely lable them as such.

-Tom

Thanks Tom [aka TheLoyale] for listening to my engine. The person at Sommers Subaru [Andy] agreed with you. He said that if it was a rod knock, it would be noisier at higher speeds and wouldn't go away when the car heats up and that it was likely piston slap which occasionally happens with 2.2 engines.

I was kind of surprised that he didn't suggest any money costing investigations. My previous impression is that they are honest and competent at Sommers.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice. I will keep running it and hope for the best. It sure sounds a little bit like this when cold however [from subaruoutback.org] and this engine froze shortly thereafter.

http://www.nlsa.com/Subaru/SubaruSound.wmv

Yep, from what I have heard from everyone, Sommers is the dealer to go to other then Don Miller out in Madison. Wild Subaru are cheats and liers and same applies with Subaru City. Back when Don Jacobs was open, they were pretty nice folk.

Mike, no problem. I was out in the garage anyway, like I said to you earlier, run some Seafoam, Marvle Mystory Oil or even Automatic Trans fluid in the oil for 200 or so miles and then change it and use a Genuine or WIX (Or Carquest) filter, Fram are garbage with their paper insides which breakdown into pieces and enter the oil system causing clogging of small oil passages.

When you do run Seafoam or MMO in your oil, leave the oil at the full mark and add 1/4 or the bottle, just so its somewhat over the full mark (That will not hurt your seals) But when running ATF in your oil, you will want to drop down the oil level a little bit and re-fill with the ATF.

And don't worry, non of this stuff with harm the engine, I have done it to my Subarus and so have many others on here.

I hope some of this info will help you out, and keep in touch, if you need anything, just ask.

And I am sorry I didn't take you on a tour of my Red Lifted wagon, didn't know how much time you had etc.

Cheers!

You might be able to remedy the lifter tick by rebuilding the il pump. there is a plate internally that the screws can get loose on, and it's common to remove the oil pump and re-torque these screws. this work can easily be don in an afternoon, along with other routine service such as cam seals and timing belts at the same time.

we have shop space, and would be happy to help you with working on your car, just to shoot the breeze and have a few beers, all in a saturday afternoon!

I like working on subarus, and i am in it more for the enthusiasm than for any money i can make.

It's the kind of thing we do just for the fact that someone would appreciate it.

I hope to see you at one of out weekend meets, we need to grow our local subaru crowd!

That is another good point, Mike. I would check your Timing belt if i were you. Since the car has 160k and I don't know when the last time the belt was changed, I would at least pull the covers off and check it for cracks.

Since you have a 1997 Legacy EJ22, that will be the Phase-II motor, and that will also be the Interference motor. So if the timing belt breaks, you run the risk of bending valves.

The last year of the Phase-I EJ22 "Non-Interference" engine (Which I have in my '95 Legacy) would be early 1996, in late '96 Subaru changed to the Interference style to get more power out of the engine. And all Subarus made to this day are Interference engines, thankfuly Subaru is making all the new motors with Timing Chain Vs. a Belt.

If you ever want to do a timing belt and pulleys on the car, just come on by, or come on over to the Shop space in Milwaukee.

Fox has also said that right, we are in it for the enthusiasm and people who appreciate it.