Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boost

Read this thread.

That will tell you what to do and how to prevent you from literally blowing up your car.

Also, do a search for EA82T, please, for everyone's sake, just do a quick search.

Go to the advanced search function, search EA82T and select Old Gen as the

forum to be searched.

Twitch

It was to my understanding that this forum is here to ask questions. I know people have changed their boost psi and I wanted to know what people would say is the safest amount of boost would be recommended(if any).

The only safe boost with an EA82T is the stock setting. And even that is pushing it. They aren't designed for high-boost and even people with intercoolers, and other mods designed to support added boost have been largely foiled even running mild increases of like 3 to 4 psi above stock (around 10 psi total).

GD

Edited by Turbone

The only safe boost with an EA82T is the stock setting. And even that is pushing it. They aren't designed for high-boost and even people with intercoolers, and other mods designed to support added boost have been largely foiled even running mild increases of like 3 to 4 psi above stock (around 10 psi total). Save yourself the headache and just sell the car while it's still running. Run, don't walk away from that mess.

GD

Why would I sell it? The body has zero rust, paint is just alittle faded. Nothing wrong with the inside. The engine and tranny are in great shape for a car that has over 205k on it. It just needs alittle TLC to the exhuast system. And I only paid 950 for it. And on the off chance the engine blows the car came with a 2nd engine that I have torn apart and am slowing rebuilding.

Edited by ernst82

from what ive been told the stock boost level on that motor is a 7 psi. i dont suggest raising it either but ive been told 10 to 15 depending on how healthy the motor currently is is the limit before having serious risk of breaking things.

Thank for the info. That is all I wanted to know.

It was to my understanding that this forum is here to ask questions. I know people have changed their boost psi and I wanted to know what people would say is the safest amount of boost would be recommended(if any).

Did you even read the thread I pointed out?

There is a bunch of info in there, yes, but it has what people were boosting

their EA82T's to safely, with supporting modifications, and what happened

when something failed.

"You don't have to speak to learn the answers to the questions you wish to ask,

you just need to listen." -Old Chinese Proverb

Twitch

Why would I sell it? The body has zero rust, paint is just alittle faded. Nothing wrong with the inside. The engine and tranny are in great shape for a car that has over 205k on it. It just needs alittle TLC to the exhuast system. And I only paid 950 for it.

:lol::lol::lol:

That POS is going to OWN your wallet. :rolleyes:

For the same price you could have easily had a Legacy - probably with less miles. More power, no turbo, etc. You'll never make a relible 135 HP like the EJ22. If you turn up the boost it will just fail.

GD

:lol::lol::lol:

That POS is going to OWN your wallet. :rolleyes:

For the same price you could have easily had a Legacy - probably with less miles. More power, no turbo, etc. You'll never make a relible 135 HP like the EJ22. If you turn up the boost it will just fail.

GD

I never said I was going to turn up the turbo, I just wanted to know if up can kick up the boost. Dont like the Legacy or the ej22. I have a 2010 WRX for the power. I am just trying to learn about my car. If I do any major mods to my car it will be installing a better coolant system, getting rid of both fans and replace them a with proformance dual cooling fans. Yes I have put in a intercooler just because it is stupied to have a turbo without a IC. Also did I ask you to pay for any of my parts? Doing a engine swap is not the answer for everyone. Given that you can destory ANY engine if you dont know what you are doing and ANY engine can be maintained if you keep up on the required maintenance. So I am asking please if the only way you can reply to a question to be condescending, then just dont reply at all.

Did you even read the thread I pointed out?

There is a bunch of info in there, yes, but it has what people were boosting

their EA82T's to safely, with supporting modifications, and what happened

when something failed.

"You don't have to speak to learn the answers to the questions you wish to ask,

you just need to listen." -Old Chinese Proverb

Twitch

Yes I did, thank you for the link. I got alot of info from it. But It is just like most threads two different groups saying that it is a good motor if you keep up on the maintenance and the other group saying its a bad motor

I respect you for wanting to learn about this thing and asking questions. Don't get all in a tizzy because someone gives you an answer you do not like. You bought a very old turbo car that has hands down, the worst engine Subaru has ever made. I am willing to bet that you went ahead and installed an aftermarket blow off valve and have it set to vent fully to atmosphere too. About every 2 months someone gets on here thinking their EA82T can be made to run with the WRX guys only to blow it up 3 weeks later.

Edited by Durania

As a member of the camp that does not think that it is a worthless engine, I say do not casually add mods to this engine unless you plan to be stranded somewhere with a broken engine. It is a 25 year old economy engine, and it has not gotten any better over the decades. Casual modifications will result in GDs prediction coming true.

I respect you for wanting to learn about this thing and asking questions. Don't get all in a tizzy because someone gives you an answer you do not like. You bought a very old turbo car that has hands down, the worst engine Subaru has ever made. I am willing to bet that you went ahead and put that you installed an aftermarket blow off valve and have it set to vent fully to atmosphere too. About every 2 months someone gets on here thinking their EA82T can be made to run with the WRX guys only to blow it up 3 weeks later.

Hey, mine lasted almost 3yrs before I purposely ended it ;)

I knew it wasnt going to last (bought from CCR after the owner retired) and I had all the parts for my swap. And it did run with the WRX guys, quite a few times. I had a STi owner that was following me on a run ask me what engine swap I had it in. The look on his face when I told him it was a just a 1.8 (slightly modded) = priceless :D

OP, PM me if you want info. I also live fairly close and can meet up with you sometime.

I never said I was going to turn up the turbo, I just wanted to know if up can kick up the boost.

The terms "turn up the turbo" and "kick up the boost" (while being wholely inadequate from a technical perspective) seem to refer to the exact same thing. Thus your statement makes no sense. This would lead me to beleive you have no idea what you are doing. And this list:

Dont like the Legacy or the ej22.

will likely have "EA82T" added to it shortly.

I have a 2010 WRX for the power.

Sure you do.

I am just trying to learn about my car. If I do any major mods to my car it will be installing a better coolant system, getting rid of both fans and replace them a with proformance dual cooling fans. Yes I have put in a intercooler just because it is stupied to have a turbo without a IC.

Good - and you should STOP right after doing those two things.

Also did I ask you to pay for any of my parts?

You came to an internet forum and asked for advice. That in iteself is enough to infer that you are asking for advice on how to spend money. Otherwise you would just take the car to Chip Foose and have him and his team overhaul it for you. :rolleyes:

Doing a engine swap is not the answer for everyone.

Granted. But you clearly want more performance. Most of us will tell you that the easiest, quickest, cheapest, and most reliable way to get there is to drop in an EJ.

Given that you can destory ANY engine if you dont know what you are doing

Not entirely true. You can destroy anthing if either you wish to do so or you don't seek help/advice from the right sources. Not knowing what you are doing is part and parcel to not seeking proper advice but in itself will not typically destroy an engine that has "common sense" maintenance like oil changes, belts, and hoses accomplished in a timely manner. Most people are capable of finding a shop do to this even though they themselves "don't know what they are doing".

and ANY engine can be maintained if you keep up on the required maintenance.

Also not entirely true. And especially not true on certain engines.... which the EA82T is one. "required maintenance" in the general scheme of things does not encoumpass what the EA82T usually needs to live. Especially in modified form. Not live long anyway.

So I am asking please if the only way you can reply to a question to be condescending, then just dont reply at all.

I'm not replying to your question in that way. I was replying to your response in that way. You are not listening. So that's what you get for not listening. Go ahead and destroy your engine if you like. Don't say I didn't warn you. As yet you have not shown that you have the knowledge or abilities required of that engine. I just call them like I see them. Prove me wrong.....

GD

Honestly, it's a fun car in stock form, but it is what it is, an EA82. Mine had 250k on it, all bone stock. It's the most fun GL I've ever had. But it's not a strong motor, and can barely handle what Subaru gave it to start. To each their own of course. The only reason we seem condescending about modifying this motor is because we have all owned them before, worked on them constantly, and seen the effects of even small upgrades. Plus, we all see the threads on here from the beginning "I'm going to run with STI's" to the end when the tears are falling. There is also nothing wrong with asking questions to learn. But, there is a search function for a reason. The information that you seek is already on here, just do the leg work yourself and hit the search button rather than getting it spoon fed. As with any forum, if you ask a question, you will get answers you like, and answers you don't. At least on here, you're getting a lot of real world advice and knowledge on your particular motor. Rather than someone talking out their a$$ about a vehicle they've never seen or worked on, but they read something about it on the internet.

End of Rant

The terms "turn up the turbo" and "kick up the boost" (while being wholely inadequate from a technical perspective) seem to refer to the exact same thing. Thus your statement makes no sense. This would lead me to beleive you have no idea what you are doing. And this list:

will likely have "EA82T" added to it shortly.

Sure you do.

Dude all that I have been trying to say is I just want to learn about the car. Being that I came from owning Mustangs I am still learning Subaru's. I have only had my WRX for 11 months and my xt for almost 2 months. I am used to big V8 motor's. The xt is a great fun little car for me to drive around so I dont put all the miles on my wrx (which I am still learning).

Good - and you should STOP right after doing those two things.

You came to an internet forum and asked for advice. That in iteself is enough to infer that you are asking for advice on how to spend money. Otherwise you would just take the car to Chip Foose and have him and his team overhaul it for you. :rolleyes:

Granted. But you clearly want more performance. Most of us will tell you that the easiest, quickest, cheapest, and most reliable way to get there is to drop in an EJ.

Not entirely true. You can destroy anthing if either you wish to do so or you don't seek help/advice from the right sources. Not knowing what you are doing is part and parcel to not seeking proper advice but in itself will not typically destroy an engine that has "common sense" maintenance like oil changes, belts, and hoses accomplished in a timely manner. Most people are capable of finding a shop do to this even though they themselves "don't know what they are doing".

Also not entirely true. And especially not true on certain engines.... which the EA82T is one. "required maintenance" in the general scheme of things does not encoumpass what the EA82T usually needs to live. Especially in modified form. Not live long anyway.

I'm not replying to your question in that way. I was replying to your response in that way. You are not listening. So that's what you get for not listening. Go ahead and destroy your engine if you like. Don't say I didn't warn you. As yet you have not shown that you have the knowledge or abilities required of that engine. I just call them like I see them. Prove me wrong.....

GD

Dude all that I have been trying to say is I just want to learn about the car. I never planned to mess with the boost. Being that I came from owning Mustangs I am still learning Subaru's. I have only had my WRX for 11 months and my xt for almost 2 months. I am used to big V8 motor's. The xt is a great fun little car for me to drive around so I dont put all the miles on my wrx (which I am still learning).

I wont learn about the car unless I put in wrench time and ask question from the people like yourself who have the knowledge.

I respect you for wanting to learn about this thing and asking questions. Don't get all in a tizzy because someone gives you an answer you do not like. You bought a very old turbo car that has hands down, the worst engine Subaru has ever made. I am willing to bet that you went ahead and installed an aftermarket blow off valve and have it set to vent fully to atmosphere too. About every 2 months someone gets on here thinking their EA82T can be made to run with the WRX guys only to blow it up 3 weeks later.

No I never installed a bov because I asked on the forum to see if it was recommend.

Dude all that I have been trying to say is I just want to learn about the car. I never planned to mess with the boost.

Alright - why don't you change the title of the thread and your entire first post to reflect what you *really* wanted to know?.... despite that this is clearly a backpedal from your initial request for information on boost levels. But I'll let that slide if you promise to listen.

I am used to big V8 motor's.

Engines are engines. They are all different in their own way. Number of cylinders has little to do with it really. Most of what you are used to are probably iron block engines. The same rules don't apply to all-aluminium engines like the Subaru stuff. Wrenching is wrenching though and you can do a lot with anything if you have the right mindset and especially the patience to do the R&D neccesary to make it happen.

The xt is a great fun little car for me to drive around so I dont put all the miles on my wrx (which I am still learning).

I wont learn about the car unless I put in wrench time and ask question from the people like yourself who have the knowledge.

The XT is the PERFECT platform for an EJ swap. It's a cool looking body, it's already setup for FI, and the parts/peices to do it are readily availible. You don't even have to change the fuel pump - just drop it in, wire it up, and go. Instant 135 HP. With some torque cams from Delta.... it would be a sweet ride. Better gas mileage too. Later on build a frankenmotor for it or put 5 psi into the EJ22.... instant 200 HP wedge. You will never get close to that for even remotely the same price with the EA82T. Yes it is possible to get 250 HP from one. But you can't afford the price that engine would cost to build. Last frankenmotor I built was $700... I have another I'm building that has basically cost me $275 at this point..... probably will be around $500 once I buy bearings, rings, and gaskets, etc. These are 2.5's with 2.2 heads.... making around 180 to 190 HP without a turbo.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

As for the thread I posted, try starting at page 3.

That's when WJM starts mentioning everything he did with his EA82T's.

Also, what's with the EJ22 hate?

It's a perfectly good engine with a solid track record.

No it's no beast, but nor is your EA82T.

Twitch

PS: If you want an engine to hate, try the EJ25D, not the EJ22.

These boost threads are all the same. :lol:

I've got a stock long block with 160k mi on the original bottom end. TD04L, WRX TMIC, custom header/3" exhaust, and 370cc/min injectors. I'm running 17 PSI on 91 octane pump gas. I've been at around 14 PSI for a couple years now, with the even larger injectors a few months ago and I bumped it up a bit more.

:banana:

The EA82T long block is strong enough as long as you keep coolant in it and don't let it go lean under boost. A 20+ year old car has a lot of old hoses, radiator, etc. Fix all that stuff first.

Of course you should know what you're doing if you attempt mods. I've been chewed out a few times here for stating that to those that don't have the knowledge necessary. Most seem like kids that want to make a broken down old car go fast without much work. Ain't gonna happen.

No use arguing with GD, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience! :grin: Just kidding GD!

Read some stuff, try some stuff, blow some stuff up. Sounds like fun!

As for the thread I posted, try starting at page 3.

That's when WJM starts mentioning everything he did with his EA82T's.

Also, what's with the EJ22 hate?

It's a perfectly good engine with a solid track record.

No it's no beast, but nor is your EA82T.

Twitch

PS: If you want an engine to hate, try the EJ25D, not the EJ22.

I thought the EJ25D had a similar head gasket problem as the EA82T.

These boost threads are all the same. :lol:

I've got a stock long block with 160k mi on the original bottom end. TD04L, WRX TMIC, custom header/3" exhaust, and 370cc/min injectors. I'm running 17 PSI on 91 octane pump gas. I've been at around 14 PSI for a couple years now, with the even larger injectors a few months ago and I bumped it up a bit more.

:banana:

The EA82T long block is strong enough as long as you keep coolant in it and don't let it go lean under boost. A 20+ year old car has a lot of old hoses, radiator, etc. Fix all that stuff first.

Of course you should know what you're doing if you attempt mods. I've been chewed out a few times here for stating that to those that don't have the knowledge necessary. Most seem like kids that want to make a broken down old car go fast without much work. Ain't gonna happen.

No use arguing with GD, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience! :grin: Just kidding GD!

Read some stuff, try some stuff, blow some stuff up. Sounds like fun!

Yeah the day after I got the car I did a tune up and replaced all the hoses and t-stat(oem).

Edited by ernst82

How much boost can you safely muster out of a turbo from a ea82t

Stock if the car is stock.

With proper intake/exhaust/intercooler, the stock VF7 is at the end of its efficiency at 15psi.

You can run it to 18+ (I have seen 25 to 30 a few times) but it does nothing more than make rallycar sounds and cause detonation.