Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'04 Subaru Forester - Overheating

Hello,

I took in my Forester to my local mechanic shop for 4 things: alignment, tire rotation, steam coming from radiator area and replace a section of my muffler. After the repair (last wednesday), my girlfriend and I went on a drive to Toronto, Canada for weekend getaway. As soon we drove back to Rochester, NY - car started to show strange increase in the car temperature (above average) when I sped my car in 70+ mph range. It fared without any increase in car's temperature when I maintained the car at 60-65 mph range. I took the car back to the same shop for check up. The shop figured that I might have a defective t-stat / coolant hose. They replaced it under warranty. On the same day, mechanic and I drove around and it seemed okay. Until I decided to drive aggressively on my own - I certainly noticed a big change in car temperature. It doesn't handle well with aggressive driving or driving uphill. I would've taken it back to the shop but the shop was closed. I figured that I'd post here to see what could be the possible scenarios.

Here is the write up note from the mechanic from first car shop visit:

"-FOUND BROKEN SECTION OF EXHAUST SYSTEM WHERE REPAIRS HAVE BEEN MADE IN PAST, REMOVED OLD SECTION THAT HAD ROTTED OUT AND INSTALLED NEW SECTION OF PIPE. INSTALLED NEW CLAMPS. EXHAUST SYSTEM NOW FIXED, NO MORE LEAKS FOUND IN SYSTEM. -($75.00)

-PRESSURE TESTED COOLANT SYSTEM FOR ANY LEAKS. NO LEAKS FOUND NEAR RADIATOR ASSY, FOUND SIGNS OF LEAKS AT ONE POINT IN TIME AT THERMOSTAT HOUSING ASSY, REPLACED STAT AND GASKET, REPLACED UPPER AND LOWER RADIATOR HOSES AS WELL, HOSES WERE OLD AND STARTING TO GET TO POINT OF POTENTIAL PROBLEMS, FILLED WITH BLEAD AIR FROM COOLANT SYSTEM. NOTE HEAD GASKETS ASSY STILL SEEPING ALITTLE OIL BUT NO COOLANT. VERY SMALL LEAKS AND CUST SHOULD HAVE CHECKED EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE. NOTE NOT A MAJOR PROBLEM AT THIS TIME JUST WANT CUST TO BE INFORMED OF THIS, MAY LAST A LONG TIME LIKE THIS. -($150.00)

-ROTATED TIRES -($25.00)

-COMPUTER ALIGNED FOUR WHEELS AND CENTER STEERING. ($82.50)"

Pricing for parts:

Exhaust pipe> $36.16

Muffler Clamp> $8.26

Upper Radiator Hose> $24.62

Lower Radiator Hose> $19.68

Thermostat> $12.90

Gasket> $2.37

Antifreeze> $18.00

Hose clamp> $3.88

Total cost: $542.50 (Labor: 332.50 / Parts: 169.81 / Tax 40.19)

After the trip to Toronto, took car to shop for second time and they replaced the T-stat and refilled the coolant. That is covered with the warranty. I noticed bubbles in the coolant tank before I took in the shop and the temperature almost hit to red part of the temperature. I had to pull over and shut off the engine to let it to cool off. I thought it was strange that I had to drive slow to maintain the correct t-stat. I never had this problem before. It's frustrating and very costly for me. I am definitely feeling like I haven't done anything right with the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For your information, I'm absolutely noob with the car and I wish I could do more with the car repair. I'm not even sure what I can tell the shop to look/fix. I'm deaf so I can't tell if the car is running right or not. Only can tell if the car's acting up or not by visually or vibration.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Welcome jtrigger. Sorry to hear about your problems. I know little about the newer engines but am sure others who do will chime in tomorrow.

Couple of questions--you said radiator was steaming when you took it in, how long had that been going on? Had you noticed the temp gauge climbing or spiking before the car was in the shop? Coolant level okay?

How did the coolant look in the overflow--any bits or gunk in it?

Hang in there, I'm sure some helpful input will be coming.

This is an abnormal overheating issue, even for your style engines that have overheating.

How many miles? You may need a new radiator. I just replaced one in a 2000 Forester. It was very predictable. Weather temperature and driving style dictated exactly when it would overheat - sounds similar to yours.

I got a radiator for only $90 or so off http://www.radiatorbarn.com and they're very easy to install.

Does the mechanic know Subaru's well? Two important items specific to this engine:

1. They easily get air trapped in them and can be difficult to bleed air out of the coolant system. Getting it out is referred to as "burping" on the forum. A few folks have "tricks" and suggestions for getting it all out.

2. This engine REQUIRES a Subaru coolant conditioner added to the coolant. Was this done every time the radiator was drained (it has to be drained to replace the t-stat), so it's been drained like 2 or 3 times. A couple of dollars at Subaru - shake the bottle really well - and dump it in your radiator (when the radiator is cold obviously).

The mechanic is right, those seeping headgaskets can stay that way for a REALLY long time without getting worse - like 100,000 miles.

@Olnick: As soon I noticed the steam, I let my car to sit until I take it to the shop because I didn't want to make the matter worse. It was coming from top of the radiator but again if I recall the same event when I first noticed. I opened up the hood, and I noticed it was steaming during very, very cold day 20*F-ish outside. I don't like any steam, so I stop using my car when I see one. Steam coming from a car usually means bad news in my book.

@grossgary: My car's mileage is only at 68.273 - relatively young car. I live in Northeastern region (NY) and it's very cold up there compared to the rest of the south. We usually average 20-30*F but it's starting to warm up as spring comes in.

-I'd have to ask my mechanic if he know much about Subarus, but with all the problems acting up - I'd doubt it. He did mention about air bubble needs to be taken out in the coolant system. I will ask him about getting all the bubbles out but where in the forum that explains on how to "burp" it in the correct way. I'll take my time to look around the forums. I'm new here.

I honestly don't think the shop has Subaru coolant conditioner - I have seen nothing of authentic Subaru parts at the shop (similar to OEM parts they say). Where do I get Subaru coolant conditioner anyway - assuming that I have to go to Subaru dealership not auto part store.

Thanks guys for the replies. It's helping me to narrow down the problem. I posted other forums for additional opinions too. I posted them about same time. Hopefully I can get down to the problem and get it fixed asap!

Try a new radiator cap, and Subaru OE thermostat.

Air bubbles could left over from the coolant change working their way out of the system. If this were an older model I would be inclined to say head gasket, but the sohc 2.5 doesn't generally have the problem with head gaskets leaking internally.

Subaru coolant conditioner is available at your local Subaru dealer. Subaru requires it's use in all 2.5L equipped models.

So I gathered up all the information and wrote myself a lengthy note to bring to the shop for my own personal check up. Hopefully I will get everything checked out and have it all fixed up. Thank to everyone who helped me out. It was big help and helped me to get the ball rolling! I will keep the forum updated as I gather things up.

Very good! The two most important things at this point are:

1) Make sure the Thermostat is Subaru OEM. No substitutes or "simlar to!"

2) Properly burp the coolant system and add a bottle of Subaru Coolant.

And let's hope that solves the problem. Good luck.

This really seems like a rotten/clogged radiator to me from the symptoms you describe.

Although the car is relatively young in mileage - your location in NY where there is a lot of salt used on the roads will tend to rot out the radiator fins, etc. This could lead to a situation where the radiator is inadequate for proper cooling. I have seen engines from your vintage with similar miles that have horrible corrosion to the cooling system due to lack of maintenance..... it's possible but not common on Subaru's in general.

Also - the fact that the shop mentioned the head gasket oil leak AND knew enough to indicate that it's *not* leaking coolant leads my to beleive they are familar with your engine and probably with Subaru's in general. That is a common problem and you SHOULD be using the Subaru coolant conditioner. It's $1.49 a bottle from the dealer here. Since your's isn't leaking just add a single bottle to the radiator.

GD

1) Make sure they used a Subaru t-stat. No substitutes! Don't accept *any* explanation for anything but a Subaru t-stat.

2) Get a bottle of the Subaru Coolant Conditioner from your local dealer's part counter. It's super cheap and will likely fix the seeping head gasket.