Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 performance mods?

The FNG

I expect that as soon as tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a 91 Loyale 5 spd. w/push button 4wd. The engine has 220K on it, but has been kept well. The wagon has a 2" lift and 28" BFG mudders on it.

To clear things up, I am not looking for mad power out of this thing. I am just curious if there are things like intakes and exhaust (including headers) that are available for these cars and where I can get them. Are they worth it? What do you recommend?

I am open to any suggestions (including: "Don't touch it. If it aint broke, don't fix it":))

There is nothing for aftermarket for the EA82s. You could make your own exhaust. Leave the header and cat stock (Or hollow out the cat if you don't have emissions) Right after the cat, do a resonator then go to 2" or 2-1/4" all the way back and don't run a muffler (Or a turbo muffler if you really want to) that might give you a little more power. You do not want to make the header piping any larger then 1-7/8" other wise you will loose bottom end power and the Scavenging effect.

If you want to do a free and quick exhaust mod, just cut the muffler off and leave it as is, it will indeed give you more power, it has on mine with a 3AT.

The intake system is about as good as your gonna do with it.

At least you have the 5spd which is gonna be quicker then the 3AT right out of the box :)

Not much can be done on the NA engines. Biggest change would be cams, light exhaust work as noted above. Intake is not a restriction. Delta camshaft in Tacoma WA can get you a set of torque ground cams for it, etc. Beyond those two you will have to get into customized tuneing of the SPFI system using megasquirt or something similar. Not much to be gained though - maybe 10 HP and that's a considerable amount of work for such little gain. The torque cams will probably yeild noticeable increases in bottom end power but little to nothing on the top-end making for a flatter torque curve but no real peak HP increase.

GD

The heads really suck. Poor combustion chamber design, shrouded valves, tortuous ports, ect. Even with a turbo on them to assist in the breathing they didn't improve much. So that's the main problem with the performance.

Best performance mod is to alter your driving style. Give the engine no mercy, wind the ************ out of it all the time and let it scream. They hold up fine. Redline is at 6.5k, valve float isn't till 8k, so don't worry about over-revving it. I've held one wide open for an hour straight on the highway, and while it blew out the exhaust gaskets and set an o2 sensor code, it ran great.

I expect that as soon as tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a 91 Loyale 5 spd. w/push button 4wd. The engine has 220K on it, but has been kept well. The wagon has a 2" lift and 28" BFG mudders on it.

To clear things up, I am not looking for mad power out of this thing. I am just curious if there are things like intakes and exhaust (including headers) that are available for these cars and where I can get them. Are they worth it? What do you recommend?

I am open to any suggestions (including: "Don't touch it. If it aint broke, don't fix it":))

Nothing for N/A. Make your own stuff.

For the EA82T there is stuff if you look in the right places. TWE makes headers and downpipes.

I reliably put down 165hp/225tq (25% loss that would be about 205hp/280tq at the crank) to all 4 wheels for a long time and that engine started out with 166k miles on it and finally died when some idiot ran it out of coolant. I put about 40k miles on it. JWX put who knows how many miles on it. Then I got it back again and put some more miles on it. Then JWX gave it away to an idiot.

It saw track days (road course), 100's of autox runs, lots of illegal street racing and many more highway pulls that resulted in the speedo needle being well past the last indicated speed, all within my time. I dont know what all JWX and idiot did with it, but it lasted fine until the idiot ran it out of coolant.

These *ARE* reliable engines. Period. Anyone who says otherwise is talking with unfounded, no back up, no facts non-sense.

Cams from Delta Camshaft and open up the exhaust, that's about it on these engines. Any more, and you're getting into the cost of dropping an EJ22 into it, but that is up to you.

I've ran 2" and 2 1/4" cat back exhausts - the 2" has better low end torque for cruising around town, but the 2 1/4" was better for flying down the freeway at 90 with the throttle wide open. :burnout: Ahh the sound of the EA82 at WOT - beautiful.

I had the torquer cams from Delta in my old wagon - good upgrade.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nothing for N/A. Make your own stuff.

For the EA82T there is stuff if you look in the right places. TWE makes headers and downpipes.

I reliably put down 165hp/225tq (25% loss that would be about 205hp/280tq at the crank) to all 4 wheels for a long time and that engine started out with 166k miles on it and finally died when some idiot ran it out of coolant. I put about 40k miles on it. JWX put who knows how many miles on it. Then I got it back again and put some more miles on it. Then JWX gave it away to an idiot.

It saw track days (road course), 100's of autox runs, lots of illegal street racing and many more highway pulls that resulted in the speedo needle being well past the last indicated speed, all within my time. I dont know what all JWX and idiot did with it, but it lasted fine until the idiot ran it out of coolant.

These *ARE* reliable engines. Period. Anyone who says otherwise is talking with unfounded, no back up, no facts non-sense.

How did you get that much out of an EA82T?!