Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 cv axels?

Are all (81-84)EA81 CV axels the same all the way around?

Do they change for auto trannies?

Whats the difference between EA81 and EA82 axels?

Can I use an EA82 on an EA81?

Dose the CV spin against the wheel bearing seal?

Has anyone had problems with the catt. cooking the passenger side CV?

Hopefully none of these are stupid questions, Id love to hear some input.

Are all (81-84)EA81 CV axels the same all the way around?

More or less. They all interchange.

Do they change for auto trannies?

No.

Whats the difference between EA81 and EA82 axels?

Length. EA82's are wider.

Can I use an EA82 on an EA81?

No.

Dose the CV spin against the wheel bearing seal?

Yes.

Has anyone had problems with the catt. cooking the passenger side CV?

Only if an incorrect fuel mixture is used or the cat has no heat sheild.

Hopefully none of these are stupid questions, Id love to hear some input.

Stupid, no. But often asked. Some searching would have yeilded most of it.

GD

Thanks for the answers.Looking from above, is the heat sheild whats stamped with "subaru" or is that the cat its self?

So an EA82 CV WILL fit in an EA81 hub, its just a bit longer overall? What would stop it from working?

I went to AutoZone to get a Cv axel and told him it was an 84 Brat not an 86 which it realy is. he looked it up and gave me a CV that had both male ends, which is not right. then I told him the EA81/EA82 deal EA81(80-84)wag+87 Brat, EA82(85-92?)wag. then he told me that they changed the CVs several times through thoses years, And preceded to tell me that I dont know ************ about my soob or any other cars And his computer is always right, so I just turned around and left before I hit him in the face with that CV:)

Then I went to O'reilys then they gave me a CV axel for what they said fit 85-87? I measured it end to end compressed and it looked the same as the old one, so that night In my awsome gravel driveway shop I swaped the CV axel torqued it to about 200 ft lbs and it seemed to fit fine. Its had about 200mi since then and all seems good.I'm just curious if this could be an EA82 on my car?

Edited by 81EA81

Thanks for the answers.Looking from above, is the heat sheild whats stamped with "subaru" or is that the cat its self?

Heat sheild

So an EA82 CV WILL fit in an EA81 hub, its just a bit longer overall? What would stop it from working?

You have to change the inner bearing seal to something else..... but other than that it will fit the hub, yes. It's about 2" longer and if you could actually install one then it would work (but not compress correctly). But you can't.... so it won't. Even fully compressed they will not allow you to bolt up the control arm.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

If the CV spins against the wheel bearing seal wouldnt that chew it up in a mater of no time?

Also I have a few spare axels laying around that I would like to learn to rebuild,is there a special tool for removal/installation of the metal bands holding the boots on? I got them off no prob with a pair of needle nose, But they seem like a pain to back get on. Any ideas or tips?

If the CV spins against the wheel bearing seal wouldnt that chew it up in a mater of no time?

Shafts spin. Seals are stationary. This is the way of the world. The engineer's knew what they were doing.

Also I have a few spare axels laying around that I would like to learn to rebuild,is there a special tool for removal/installation of the metal bands holding the boots on? I got them off no prob with a pair of needle nose, But they seem like a pain to back get on. Any ideas or tips?

The clamps - known as Oetiker clamps - are a single-use item. You throw them away after removal and replace with new one's (usually included in the boot kit). Yes there is a special tool for installation and it's just about impossible to do it right without the tool. The tool is about $15.

Rebuilding axles is not typically economically viable. By the time you buy the joints, the boots, clamps, grease, etc and then figure in the labor - you are well over what a new axle will cost in the aftermarket. I pay $65 for axles.

GD