Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New/used Alt

I'm needing to buy an alt from the yard for a 92 loyale i'm getting next week... been looking around but havent found anything specific to my questions... will any ol' alt from that year range work? Or is there something specific I need to look for when pulling it from the yard?? Wish I knew more... :confused: TIA for your help...

I'm needing to buy an alt from the yard for a 92 loyale i'm getting next week... been looking around but havent found anything specific to my questions... will any ol' alt from that year range work? Or is there something specific I need to look for when pulling it from the yard?? Wish I knew more... :confused: TIA for your help...

You're not interested in a rebuilt/remanufactured alternator? They come with a warranty. One from a yard could be iffy.

You need to know if your car takes 1 pulley or 2 for the alt. And, whichever it is, that the pulleys are good.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with an alternator from a yard. You could invest the money to buy it, put in the time to install it, and have it flake out on you in a week or a month. Then you have to start all over. With rebuilts you know you're good to go for quite a long period of time.

Subarule

Under $10? That's worth a try for sure, out of 8 GL's, Loyale's, and GL-10's I've only had one go on me. Maybe it's luck,haha. As for the 30 day warranty, all the places around my area have no warranty on electrical items. You may want to make sure if you are counting on the warranty. I think I have a good one laying around off my turbo wagon. If I still have it and you can wait for it to get to you, just pay the shipping. :)

I may very well take you up on that offer if I can't find anything that works for me in the yard. And they don't have a warranty.. just a return policy. I know, I know, to-may-toe, to-mah-toe. Basically with anything they sell.. there's no real way to test it till you leave the yard. They get that. So you have 30 days if it doesnt work for you, elec or not. Thx for the tip tho. ;)

Out of the yard its under 10 bucks, reman at the parts store its close to 80. and the yard i go to has a 30 day return policy. finances dont allow for 80 right now when 10 could very well get the job done.

Yeah, there is that $$$ factor.

If you are looking for alternators, they work from 83-84 subarus. sometimes there can be a fitment issue with certain AC setups, where there is a rounder alternator for (usually turbo/xt) for the square compressor with an inboard alternator.

the more common setups are a round compressor with the alternator outside. This alternator has a flat frontal are a with a little bit of a lip around the circumfrence.

this alternator in the other styles place can butt against the bracket before taking all of the slack out of the belt, resulting in loose engagement as the belt seats over time.

you can overcome this by grinding on the side of the alternator to remove the lip where it touches the bracket.

a nissan maxima alternator fits, too, and is 60 amps, instead of 30 amps.

If you are looking for alternators, they work from 83-84 subarus.

?? I'd think that any EA82 alternator would work (possibly with swapping the pully if it's the different type). Which means '85 through '94, EA82's. I think I've used the EA81's ('81 - '84 + later on the brats and hatches) on my EA82's as well, but I can't remember if I had to do modifications to them... nothing major that I remember, but wiring harnesses might have been different shaped plugs or something and I probably wouldn't remember.

Z