Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mis matched tire?

Guest jclay

Hello all!

Happy St. Patrick's day!

my subie hunt continues, and I've found a legacy wgn I like, but it has mis matched tires and is at a lot so there is no record of how long they have been on the car.

I know this is generally not good for the awd, but what are the ramifacations?

Please advise, thanks!

Jared

I car I had before it crashed and i put the snows on I drove 32K on mismatched tires..

3 of the tires were toyo's and one was an older firestone.. nothing stupid happened.. Now if i ran something like new tires up front with old then the rears I risk a CD damage.

If it's at a dealer, I'd steer clear of it. They got it at an auction and probably needed a couple tires to get it to pass safety inspection. The center transfer unit may be damaged, which isn't difficult to fix, but will be another $750 - $1000 at a Subaru dealer to have repaired. Probably $500 in parts to do the job yourself.

Guessing this is an older wagon? Mid to late 90s? So they have a price tag of $4,995 to maybe $6,995 on it?

Check craigslist. Quite often see wagons with plenty of work done (timing job, new brakes, tires, suspension parts) in the $3k- $5k range.