Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will an EJ22 from a 92 Legacy work in a 97 Outback?

nickolai

Now before everyone jumps on me and tells me to do a search, I have. What I have found is that most people say to use a 95-98 EJ22. I don't have a 95-98 motor, but there is a rolled 92 Legacy at a junk yard near me, and I talked to the previous owner who said it was running good. No parts have been pulled from it.

I have a 97 Outback with a 2.5 that has bad head gaskets. So my question is: What is the reason for saying only 95-98 engines? Can the 92 be made to work?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes - it can work. But you must use the electronics and harness from the 2.5.

I'm thinking you meant 2.2?

Why not just do the head gaskets on the 2.5? That's usually the best bet if it's not been seriously overheated numerous times.

It's been overheated quite a few times. And for the kind of driving this car will see, reliability is WAY more important than power. Also I feel like an engine swap is easier than head gaskets.

those are the only ones that are plug and play. no wiring.

yes, it's extra steps and multiple ways you can do it.

Do you care to expand, or know of any resources I was unable to find?

I don't know the details, but some of the common areas that need to be addressed/modified are EGR/non-EGR (or live with the CEL/MIL being on), dual or single port exhaust manifold, number of bolt holes on the flywheel. One bonus would be the '92 is non-interference, whereas the '97 you had would have been interference.

Thanks again for replies.

I don't know the details, but some of the common areas that need to be addressed/modified are EGR/non-EGR (or live with the CEL/MIL being on), dual or single port exhaust manifold, number of bolt holes on the flywheel. One bonus would be the '92 is non-interference, whereas the '97 you had would have been interference.

Does anyone know how hard these problems are to overcome? Both cars are auto so does that mean the 92 has EGR, or is that just on the phase 2 EJ22s?

No - I meant 2.5 - you have to use the stuff from the intake that matches the harness of the car. Or switch to a '95+ 2.2 intake manifold. The early OBD-I intake harness and sensors will not interface with the '97s computer.

GD

Okay that makes sense now. How hard is it to swap all the stuff over? Is it all "bolt on"? I imagine there's wire splicing. Is it all in the engine compartment, or does it require removing and reworking the harnesses like the EA to EJ swap?

No, you do not need a new exhaust manifold. The 92 ej22 will have dual port heads.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by nickolai

EGR /non-EGR doesn't matter if you don't have to worry about testing/inspection. it just causes a check engine light. they don't test in my state so the check engine light doesn't matter for me.

if it does matter then the EJ22 needs to have EGR, because the EJ25 has EGR, or you need to start swapping on a drivers side head with the EGR port, drilling your own port for it, etc. there's a few ways around that but all require some mechanical work, aptitude, and possibly money.

exhaust manifold isn't a big deal. EJ25's are dual port so if your EJ22 is dual port it's a non-issue. if it's a single port it's still really simple, just get a single port exhaust - they easily exchange from single to double or double to single port, they all bolt up the same. match it to the engine and install.