Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I gots questions about wheels for my '85 BRAT GL

Hey Y'all,

Been lookng at this awesome thread's pics: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117919&page=2

And now I'm wondering if (assuming redrilling is easily possible) if maybe I should get some bigger wheels would allow me to put nastier tires on my stock rig than I'm able to find for 13" wheels. And suggestions? And I assume the 'lifts' everyone references are from beyond the variable stance on the stock BRAT will allow. Is that right? I don't know where my suspension is at right now as far as the adjustable clearance goes. I'd bet that it's how ever it came from the factory. Been wearing stock wheels and tires sizes all these years...

I saw someone had Dodge wheels or Toyota wheels in these examples. Do you think I can find a steel 15" that I can get cool tires for? Note I'm not into punishing it off road, so remember that I'm going to be on the road with it 99% of the time, and not too far off the shoulder the other 1%. (we'll see how long that lasts) :grin:

Honestly if it were my Brat that would spend 99% of its time on the road I would keep those stock size tires and wheels on it, im sure it would ride alot smoother (better milage)then those "nastier" tires would. The adjustable suspension will only give you about an inch more clearence, But ive seen completly stock brats mob it up off road just fine with street tires and the stock "lift".If I remember right all you need is a 21mm wrench. Most of the lifts are just body lifts with spacers between the frame rail and the suspension/crossmember/strutmount. It will make since when you are under your car looking at it. SJR makes good lifts for your BRAT. As far as redrilling hubs its fairly easy. this website gives ya a step by step process.http://www.subarubrat.com

YOu might be able to fit 15s under your Brat with a little fender trimming:)

I hope this helps. Also the search feature up top can be your friend

Honestly if it were my Brat that would spend 99% of its time on the road I would keep those stock size tires and wheels on it, im sure it would ride alot smoother (better milage)then those "nastier" tires would. The adjustable suspension will only give you about an inch more clearence, But ive seen completly stock brats mob it up off road just fine with street tires and the stock "lift".If I remember right all you need is a 21mm wrench. Most of the lifts are just body lifts with spacers between the frame rail and the suspension/crossmember/strutmount. It will make since when you are under your car looking at it. SJR makes good lifts for your BRAT. As far as redrilling hubs its fairly easy. this website gives ya a step by step process.http://www.subarubrat.com

YOu might be able to fit 15s under your Brat with a little fender trimming:)

I hope this helps. Also the search feature up top can be your friend

Yeah, I hear you on search. But I felt I had some basic knowledge that was missing to make sense of all the info...

I already gots highway tires/wheels. Was looking for something with knobby look that didn't reguire modification to hub or body. Hence my question. Are there steel wheels out there that'll be what I'm looking for? Maybe drill stud holes in a wheel... like 15"ers...

Sounds like you are pretty much in the same boat Im in.

Love the car, hate the tire selection due to wheels.

By far the cheapest and easiest route to fix it is to run 6-lug wheels with a couple of extra holes drilled in the wheels to bolt to the 4-lug hubs.

The wheels are steel wheels, that fit 6 lug Toyotas and Chevys

This gets you 15" wheels, the tire selection you want, and doesnt require you to modify the vehicle at all.

A small lift is recommended though, and will free up even more of a tire selection.

With all that said, right now there are still some sweet 15" 4-lug wheels in the classifieds on this forum for sale. The best of both worlds in my opinion, but you pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the cheapest and easiest route to fix it is to run 6-lug wheels with a couple of extra holes drilled in the wheels to bolt to the 4-lug hubs.

This gets you 15" wheels, the tire selection you want, and doesnt require you to modify the vehicle at all.

A small lift is recommended though, and will free up even more of a tire selection.

With all that said, right now there are still some sweet 15" 4-lug wheels in the classifieds on this forum for sale. The best of both worlds in my opinion, but you pay for it.

Great reply. Thanks.

pay for it? wheel costs? or gas usuage? or what?

cost alone.

So long as you keep the diameter similar to that of the factory tires, mileage will not be a concern. Even then, I have read that stepping up in diameter has actually improved some peoples highway mileage, due to the drop in RPM at high speed.

The smallest mud terrain tire you will likely find is going to be about 27". That is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the 23" stock tires. Even with the stock suspension cranked all the way up, you're going to have some clearance problems so some lift is definitely going to be required. That said, ANY 6-lug wheel will do what you want with some redrilling. Best options are from 4wd Japanese mini-trucks. Frankly, though, you can make any of them work.