Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback Hunt Continues, advice sought!

Guest jclay

Hi All,

I am on the hunt for a used Outback to use folr work. I drive 1800 or so miles/month for work and while reimbursed, need something more economical then my Grand Cheroke (15-17mpg) I need the cargo capacity of the Outback for my equipment, and love the AWD, as I had 2 legacy L wagons previously. I really don't want to go over $8000, but could stretch that by a little.

I'm going to look at 3 options tomorrow, and am looking foreword to your opinions.

Option 1. 2003 OB Limited, 99,000i miles $9000. At this mileage, it's soon due for the timing belt/ water pump, what can I expect to pay for this at an independant shop? Also, does the 2003 still have the potential for HG issues?

Option 2. 2002 OB Limited 131 k mi, $6950 Main concern is the posibility again of HG issues...If I'm not mistaken still possible but the external leak instead of internal? Also understand a coolant flush with additve can be beneficial? Again may need timing belt and water pump...is it possible to tell if they have been done or not if you open up the covers?

Option 3: 2005 OB 2.5I 150 k mi. $ 7995 I like the price and the fact that as a 2005, I have a better chance of not having HG issues...but the mileage is higher.

Sorry if this got long winded, but I'm sure your feedback will be educational!

Thanks in Advance!

Jared

Outbacks made after the model-year 1999 will have the minor external head-gasket issues. The issue can be solved with a bottle of Holts Radweld/Subaru "Cooling-System Conditioner".

However, that's all I can tell you, the experts at USMB can elaborate more and confirm/debunk what I said.

Would you mind driving a stick? If you could find a '96 with a 5spd, it'll have the non-interference EJ22 (no headgasket issues). OR you could go for a regular Legacy '95 or '96 (I stick with non-interference myself, that's why I don't like anything '97 or higher). The regular Legacy's didn't have the raised roof or raised suspension but you'd be looking at the same amount of room. Have you considered the first gen Legacy's? They're fairly roomy, maybe only lacking a couple cubic feet of cargo space.