Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's up guys,

Let me introduce myself first, since this is my first post.

I'm not new to cars, but fairly new to working on Subarus. Money is EXTREMELY tight, hence why I'm double checking with you guys before I go blow money on useless parts, so I hope there's some knowledgable people on here :)

I'm from New York (if salt has any play on it), and as I was driving home the other day I noticed my brake light was coming on as I slowed down, but went off as I stopped, in my 98 Legacy Outback. I decided to make a quick stop at McD's drive through, and I was on the brakes, they sunk to the floor.

I can still slow down, but the pedal has to be pushed right to the floor, there's about 90% too much play.. I did a little research and thought it could possibly be the master cylinder, but like I said- I want to be sure before buying parts.

I'm not exactly sure how to diagnose these ABS, so I was hoping for some info from you guys. (I'm a Honda guy, no ABS here! ;))

ps. I shouldn't have said "my car", it's my girlfriends car but I seem to drive it more than she does

edit:

So how exactly would I diagnose this? I don't see any leaks around the wheels, but I didn't look too hard since the weather was bad out

Edited by Dontoh

Alright, so, like I thought-

The fluid level is extremely low (could barely see it). It has definitely dropped since I last checked a few days ago. I checked the rotors and pads a few days ago as well, and they look like they have plenty of life left on them

Alright, so, like I thought-

The fluid level is extremely low (could barely see it). It has definitely dropped since I last checked a few days ago. I checked the rotors and pads a few days ago as well, and they look like they have plenty of life left on them

since you are a car guy, i'm going to assume you know how to fill w/ fluid and then bleed the brakes. but then the question becomes where did the fluid go?

and if it is not leaking at a caliper, did you disconnect anything during your recent inspection, look for a rusted out brake line in the rear. they are not common, but not unusual in the rust belt.

i think the lines run inside the car along the floor at the doors, driver side, and then go out to the rear wheels under the back seat. check under the car first.

since you are a car guy, i'm going to assume you know how to fill w/ fluid and then bleed the brakes. but then the question becomes where did the fluid go?

and if it is not leaking at a caliper, did you disconnect anything during your recent inspection, look for a rusted out brake line in the rear. they are not common, but not unusual in the rust belt.

I didn't disconnect anything, just pulled the wheels off to go over everything quick. I'll get the car up on some jack stands and check everything out again.

I'll probably start right at the reservoir and follow the brake lines back to be sure.

i think the lines run inside the car along the floor at the doors, driver side, and then go out to the rear wheels under the back seat. check under the car first.

That helps a lot, I wasn't 100% sure where they ran. But I'll do that when it warms up a little. It's so cold out!

what car? what year?

wagon or sedan?

the ifo above is true for 90 - 99 legacys and probably all subarus before and after but i'm not sure.

don't start in the car. i don't think the salt would rust out a line inside, but maybe. you can do a visual underneath the car with out removing any thing.

wagons are little easier since you can fold the seat forward and see where the lines go through the floor to the rear wheels. i would start at the rear wheels and work your way forward.

good luck.

where are you located?

It's a 1998 Legacy Outback wagon, and I'm located in CNY, LOTS of salt.. LOTS.

Only reason why I said I'll start in the car is because if it's a possibility, I'd like to at least rule it out early.

One more game of tetris, and I'll go outside, haha :lol:

Sounds like a rusted out brake line more than the master.

Masters usually fail gradually.

Look for leaks under the rear.

Would that cause the brakes to work when they're on the floor? There's no pressure until they are fully pressed. Then I can get it to slow down, slowly

All the brakes lines I've needed to repair on Subaru's have been within a foot or two of the rear calipers. Just sayin'. On VW or Chevy's they can go anywhere here in the rust belt. But on Suby's it seems to be where I said in my experience.

Aslo master cylinder or brake booster failures are rare. So rare that I don't remove them when I scrap a car.

Often if someone can pump the brakes while youi're underneath you can often actually hear the squirt/leak and know where to look.

Very common place on these for the brake lines to rust out is under the back where the lines come out of the floor. It's in a small space right in front/above the fuel tank on the passenger side.

I'll keep that in mind..

I went and checked them out, and while I was listening for any type of squirting, I noticed that 3 out of the 4 rotors were "clean". Where as my front passenger one was rusted as if it was sitting.. Would this mean that that's the brake line that went?

a rusty rotor is probably an indicator of a stuck caliper.

if you fill the master cylinder and then pump the brakes does the pedal firm up or still go to the floor. if it firms up and then over time goes to the floor you have leak. if it goes to the floor with the master cylinder full it could be the master cylinder. or it could be leaking so fast you never get pressure.

try the above and then look for fluid on the ground.

a rusty rotor is probably an indicator of a stuck caliper.

if you fill the master cylinder and then pump the brakes does the pedal firm up or still go to the floor. if it firms up and then over time goes to the floor you have leak. if it goes to the floor with the master cylinder full it could be the master cylinder. or it could be leaking so fast you never get pressure.

try the above and then look for fluid on the ground.

I'll check it out when I get home..

I'd just like to thank you guys for the help though, I really appreciate it ;)