Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Spd Transmission - which years will fit

All,

I have a 91 legacy with a manual 5 spd transimission. The transmission has been making noises for a few years and recently has started to pop out of 4th gear. I'm looking for a used replamentment but am unsure which years of legacies are compatible.

Do any of you know?

thanks,

sam

All,

I have a 91 legacy with a manual 5 spd transimission. The transmission has been making noises for a few years and recently has started to pop out of 4th gear. I'm looking for a used replamentment but am unsure which years of legacies are compatible.

Do any of you know?

thanks, sam

AWD or FWD?

search http://www.car-part.com and they will offer you years that match. other years may work, too.

Anything from 1990 to 2005 (and beyond if you change inner CV joints) will work but 90 through 98 will be easiest. In order to keep the same rear diff ratio you need a 4.111 final drive transmission..... 90 to 94 Legacy, 93/94 Impreza, 95 to 98 Outback, 98 Forester are the big one's. Might be others and many after '98 will fit but additional work has to be done with the starter mounting, etc as those are 8-bolt bell-housing setups.

GD

Early Legacy's are 4.111. '95+ are 3.9

GD

yes and no.

i've gotten this one wrong so many times i've quit trying to qoute the ratios for 90 - 94.

95 manuals are 3.9.

but 90 - 94 manuals are not ALL 4.11. there is a change between 91 / 92, i think, can't remember. but the ratios for manuals and autos flip flopped in 95 and in an earlier year.

and turbos did not follow these rules. they had their own.

yes and no.

i've gotten this one wrong so many times i've quit trying to qoute the ratios for 90 - 94.

95 manuals are 3.9.

but 90 - 94 manuals are not ALL 4.11. there is a change between 91 / 92, i think, can't remember. but the ratios for manuals and autos flip flopped in 95 and in an earlier year.

and turbos did not follow these rules. they had their own.

For the proper ratio, check the the transmission number in your car now (two places: number is on the bell housing and vin plate in the engine compartment). Use the number to check the ratio on the transmission list in the USMB repair forum. Compare that to any "donor" transmissions to be sure get it right. If you're not sure, pull the tranny AND rear end as a matched pair.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97885