Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A single dash light went out, the one signifying the car is shifted into D. The backlight for only this symbol is out. Park, Neutral, etc. Still work. Anyone know why, and how to test for what might be wrong? I have an Impreza Outback Sport. '07.

A single dash light went out, the one signifying the car is shifted into D. The backlight for only this symbol is out. Park, Neutral, etc. Still work. Anyone know why, and how to test for what might be wrong? I have an Impreza Outback Sport. '07.
Bulb is most likely blown. Pull the cluster and replace it.

Funny story though, I had a 91 Legacy that for about a year, the "D" bulb on the cluster didn't work, then it magically started to work again....

Bulb is most likely blown. Pull the cluster and replace it.

Funny story though, I had a 91 Legacy that for about a year, the "D" bulb on the cluster didn't work, then it magically started to work again....

My 99 OBW does the same thing......light sometimes works, sometimes not. Loose wire or bulb connection I guess. However, if it doesn't work at all.......same thought as above, it must be a bad bulb.

Tip: the bulb is going to be really cheap, but if you swap the bulb from ''1'' with the one in ''d'' you won't even have to buy one.

i usually end up doing these jobs twice. once to figure out what i need and the second time to fix it. swapping the bulb with a known good one will save you a trip to the parts store.

Tip: the bulb is going to be really cheap, but if you swap the bulb from ''1'' with the one in ''d'' you won't even have to buy one.

i usually end up doing these jobs twice. once to figure out what i need and the second time to fix it. swapping the bulb with a known good one will save you a trip to the parts store.

and they say the New England Yankee is thrifty :)

good test for diagnosis though.