Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts cost to replace HG in '98 2.5?

I want this forester but it needs head gaskets (like they all do).

I am hoping I can get the Forester cheap but not sure if I will have money left to repair it. I know a few of you guys here have done this repair, whats it set you back?

Am i lookin at closer to $200 in parts or $500 after everythings said & done?

Thanks in Advance,

-Brian

closer to 500 in just parts, thats to do it right:

all oem except t belt kit.

HG's

valve cover gaskets

rear separator cover new metal seal.

screws for separator cover (not same screws as the plastic cover)

water pump and gasket

cam seals

oil pump oring

roller/idlers

t belt

spark plugs

intake manifold gaskets

exhaust gaskets

etc. if you have a 5speed, inspection of clutch may reveal additional 250 in clutch stuff.... so then you are talking near 750 and that is not LABOR

Edited by bheinen74

I just did this on a 2000 model and I think I was right around the $200 mark. I did HG's from the dealer and intake/exhaust from the el-cheapo parts house. I also bought a haynes manual, case of oil, roll of shop rags, filter, and some other crap/consumables.

My vote is more like $200 and not $500 if you're looking at just the HG job.

do not use el cheapo intake gaskets. good grief.

I know I know... Bought them from the el-cheapo parts house, BUT! Had them order not their el-cheapo-est quality stuff. I think I ordered fel-pro if I remember correctly. My point is I didn't pay the $14-18 each price that the dealer wanted for them. Mostly because they are solely sealing air. On manifolds that seal both air/coolant such as the EA8# series, I DO use dealer gaskets.

Just had to put that out there in my (EGO's) defense.. :rolleyes:

Edited by obk25xt

GSKT CYLINDER HEAD

Make: Subaru

11044AA610

2 $ 30.92 $ 61.84

^those are the latest design as of 8-x-2010....for DOHC

GSKT INTAKE MANIFOLD

14035AA281

2 $ 3.56 $ 7.12

WASH ROCKER CVR

13271AA051

18 $ 2.52 $ 45.36 don't get 18, i was doing more than one on that order....

GASKET ROCKER COVER

13270AA062

1 $ 10.76 $ 10.76

GSKT ROCKER COVER

13272AA063

1 $ 10.76 $ 10.76

Edited by bheinen74

SOHC or DOHC?

Price guesses from memory

cranks seal 8-10 bucks

cam seals 8-10 each

oil pump Oring

WP gasket

NGK's

Ultra Grey

are a few other things that come to mind.

I get my heads checked/surfaced too - about another 120.00

98 will have DOHC.

I agree - just didn't see it in the thread.

The 99's have SOHC.

IIR HG's are about the same, but you have another 20 bucks in cam seals for the DOHC.

I saw parts list and prices but just reread thread and still didn't see the year stated. But sometimes I "miss" things.

I saw parts list and prices but just reread thread and still didn't see the year stated. But sometimes I "miss" things.

:lol: I have those kinda days every now and then. Stuff just doesn't "sink in" right away.

Has this thing been repeatedly overheated? Very important question to ask before spending beau-coup $$$. You might be putting new gaskets on a boat anchor.

Just put an EJ22 in it.. Theres a good chance the bearings cooked from overheating.. I've seen lots of these motors, and all kinds of bad stuff can happen with the intermittent overheating, especially if they continued to drive it. Just my 2 cents. Im selling an EJ22 for 300$ right now with 120,000 miles on it.. Only thing you will have to do to swap it is bend the power steering tubes with a tube bender. I've done a few of these swaps, do the timing belt and it will go FOREVER.

Agreed! you will probably want to have the EJ25d heads surfaced as well, so that ups the price. The ej22 swap will be much more cost effective now and for the life of that motor. Plain and simple the 25d is crap, I stand firm with this.

To the OP's original question, cost of parts to do HGs, I found this set at an online Subaru parts dealer for $209+ shipping. It includes all the gaskets needed to do the HG job.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=3783

It does not include any timing belt items or cam/crank seals that you may want to do while you are there. Shawn may be able to get you a better price.