Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solid Axle Legacy

True2Blue

Legacy is going to the fab shop tomorrow (the 25th)

Custom frame is being built with custom cross-member

4 link being built

yota 4:10;s/lockers gettin installed

Truly custom bumpers being made with front winch

Ballistic Coilovers

Yota tranny

Bills subaru to toyota adapter

16" american racing rims with 31"-33" (undecided) m/t's

all the little tuff will come around..

First payment for the frame to be started will be sent Friday.

Ill be selling everything that comes off. to 'help' cover my $12,000 build

New 28" BFG KM m/t's

All wheel disk brakes

ea82 d/r transmission w/ej to ea adapter plate

3" lift kit with outback struts

Basically all of the suspension

everything from the tranny down :)

ill post in the for sale...

ill be posting pics as it progresses

i love my subaru :)

Edited by McBrat
un-delete

Oh i know! i cant wait. i was in Mt Rainer national park and i just wasnt capable... i couldnt get to places i wanted to go and i dont want another rig i love my subaru.. once i got this job offer it all made sense. 4 LINK IT!

to McBrat. how did you do the steering on your brat? that is the main issue i have run into with my design for my custom frame and four link set up.

steering build starts at post #89

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92202&page=3

basically, the front soob frame rail was cut away, and a 2x4 section put in place (strait) so I could use the Toyota IFS steering box... but it does limit the width of an engine you can put in... an ea81 body... using the same design on a wider Legacy, should still leave enough room for an EJ....

I'm using an ea81 PS pump, and I grabbed some Toyota fitting at the junkyard and took them along with the soob PS lines, and had custom lines made to go from the soobie pump to the Toy box....

mine was built as low as we could go for 35-36" tires...

Ill be using a 94-01 dodge ram 1500 box since it is lowprofile and will mount on the inner driver side frame rail,GM mounts outside the frame rail and wont work in a car application because there is no room in a cars wheel well

well i am thinking i am going to go taller then 35's minimum tire size on mine in going to be 37" and i will have enough room for most ps boxes at that point. thank you both for the info i worked for chrysler for a number of years and am not fond of the short longevity of their equipment so i am unsure of what box to use yet but all will be considered. again thank you.

for 12 grand, you better be doing full hydro!and chromoly everything in the axles.and, and , and.....i'd make sure the guy doin this knowa what the hell he is doing.

a can of worms can be opened up and not closed just as fast.........

just sayin.for 12 grand, there are some way more capable wheelers that you could buy outright.......

AND, family rigs at that.say you love your subie all you want.but if your droppin that kind of dough, i would be buyin used built 60's,an atlas, and fabrication to make a crazier adapter than bill is doing up.

you should do some more research...i think your gettin took.cheers, b

typical you havent seen the parts list..

hes making my frame, shock hoops and cross-members for $1200

I gotta buy built axles and a refurbished tranny

NEW 16" rims with NEW tires theres another 1200 - 1500 easy

Then the shocks/coilovers which are about $500 each theres $2000

Custom built 4 link and steering with NEW steering box $200-$500

Custom drive lines

Bills adapter and custom linkage

Custom break lines

linear actuator for 4hi 4 lo selection

Custom bumpers with 5k winch

Quick disconnect sways

there is ALOT man

Hes using New or refurbished parts so its spendy but I asked for it cause i dont want a junk yard build this time

I'm all for it and think its cool. My only question is this (not to be taken as criticism please). Why are you going to disassemble a perfectly good custom subie wheeler to build this thing? Why not just go out and buy a legacy in disrepair somewhere for super cheap and just build that one and leave this one as it is? I only ask because it appears the only thing you are using from the waterwagon is the body and the engine. For $12,000 you could probably afford another decent shell. Again, not being critical, just an honest question.

Totally going with this guy I dont think Austin would like to see his hard work turned into pieces but to each his own and it is yours but I am with Monstaru to at some point why dont you just buy a 4x4. I love my subie I know the capabilities it isnt a rockcrawler but it can hold its own with a good driver just saying

Sell the waterwagon if you dont like it someone will scrape up the money but dont destroy a perfectly built subie

I'm all for it and think its cool. My only question is this (not to be taken as criticism please). Why are you going to disassemble a perfectly good custom subie wheeler to build this thing? Why not just go out and buy a legacy in disrepair somewhere for super cheap and just build that one and leave this one as it is? I only ask because it appears the only thing you are using from the waterwagon is the body and the engine. For $12,000 you could probably afford another decent shell. Again, not being critical, just an honest question.

the quote was 8-10k and he said 8 k sounds about what its going to be around depending on the addition fabrication needed that wasnt thought of thus far...

12k gives me fox shocks unless i do go with ballistic shocks and nice bfg tires and the "ecu" for the 4x4 hi lo actuator...

i know i could buy something else if i wanted something else then id buy it i simply dont care i wanna 4 link my subaru and be happy.

i had plands for the lift to go on a leather seated all auto outback (for the wife) i didnt think anyone would buy the kit..

why take off a 3" lift kit with a d/r in it?

it wont stay in reverst it pops out CONSTANTLY and violently the flywheel needs to be machine right the tranny needs to be resealed the wheel bearing sound a little dry the tranny hops around it needs more mounts.. the wagon is awesome it really is i just wanna make my own outta it im not destroying anything that to me was offensive. im putting straight axles under it whats the problem?

i dont get some of the feedback ill remove the post cause i dont want to post up an idea/project in the works and have it ragged on its a real downer..

PLEASE DELETE POST

Ill be using a 94-01 dodge ram 1500 box since it is lowprofile and will mount on the inner driver side frame rail,GM mounts outside the frame rail and wont work in a car application because there is no room in a cars wheel well

sounds like a good idea... how wide are the Legacy frame rails?

i had plands for the lift to go on a leather seated all auto outback (for the wife) i didnt think anyone would buy the kit..

why take off a 3" lift kit with a d/r in it?

it wont stay in reverst it pops out CONSTANTLY and violently the flywheel needs to be machine right the tranny needs to be resealed the wheel bearing sound a little dry the tranny hops around it needs more mounts.. the wagon is awesome it really is i just wanna make my own outta it im not destroying anything that to me was offensive. im putting straight axles under it whats the problem?

i dont get some of the feedback ill remove the post cause i dont want to post up an idea/project in the works and have it ragged on its a real downer..

PLEASE DELETE POST

not raggin... just be smart about it. thats all.

thats alot of dough to throw at a car that will be completely specialized and ONE ?GUY is gonna know the ins and outs of it?

just sayin.

get it done right or your gonna regret it.cheers, b

edit:you can't expect to post up something like this with no scrutiny.or a a real parts list...don;t be so sensitive man...

Edited by monstaru

one guy yea. its a pro shop i have all the paperwork and everything its legit

from ur prospective sensitive may be the way it seems but have 3 or 4 guys give "negative" feedback on your idea that you wanted to do and finally have money to do and it will make you feel the same.

this is a subaru community and tons of guys have lifted rigs some straight axle with awesome feed back

this isnt a junkyard build that i myself am doing under a tarp or in the garage its a BRAND NEW fully custom build its gonna cost. look up half the parts and add it up...

its whatever man

one guy yea. its a pro shop i have all the paperwork and everything its legit

from ur prospective sensitive may be the way it seems but have 3 or 4 guys give "negative" feedback on your idea that you wanted to do and finally have money to do and it will make you feel the same.

this is a subaru community and tons of guys have lifted rigs some straight axle with awesome feed back

this isnt a junkyard build that i myself am doing under a tarp or in the garage its a BRAND NEW fully custom build its gonna cost. look up half the parts and add it up...

its whatever man

dude the proof is in the pudding. well, ifn ya wanna have an attitude about it.

i'd rather build it myslef with ************ from a junkyard, than have someone else build it for me....

built not bought.......

to bad too, i was gonna buy your tires.good luck selling it now with a ************in hissie fit and deleting your post.grow up man.....

cheers, b

i am well aware of the cost of things.. like the full hydro setup in my basement(sans lines), and the fuel cell, and the FOX AIRshocks(12"&!$"), and the transfer case gears,and, and, and....

anyone can buy parts man, and anyone can build it for you.but your the one that has to get it out of the woods when it breaks...good luck in general with that attitude..

Edited by monstaru