Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump won't spin after install...?

93 Loyale SPFI, NON TURBO

As I was assembling the oil pump with a new gasket, shaft seal and a ring last night I found that the gear/spindle refused to turn as soon as I had tightened the bolts down. It would spin fine just before the last quarter turn but after that it wouldn't. The shaft has a little in and out play and thats normal, but shouldn't the gear/spindle still turn once the 5 bolts are tight? I am convinced that it should spin. The pump lines up nicely and the bolts go on smooth and it seems to mate to the block perfectly but after I tigthen the bolts down to snug, the spindle will NOT turn. What could I be doing wrong? I tried a few times over last night with no luck. Any thoughts?

You are right, it should spin pretty freely, When you put the shaft seal in (O-ring) for the outter rotor, did the o-ring get caught behind it? Cause the o-ring slides into a grove on the rotor wheel.

Other then that, check for debris that could be getting it stuck in the rotor housing bore.

Post if you find out what it is.

-Tom

Edited by TheLoyale

I watched from the bottom (its on an engine stand) to make sure the mickey mouse gasket sealed properly when putting the bolts in. The O-ring stayed in it's place too. The shaft seal went on easily and without any trouble when I took it apart. It really didn't make sense to me why it would bind up after being tightened. The oil pumps are the same between 93 and 94, correct? I have an extra pump to try. Doubt its debris becuase I have cleaned the whole block and the pump profusely in and out with solvent and air. I even slipped an old timing belt around it and tried to turn it...its wedged in there pretty good. I'll just try again tonight and report back.

There are some very slight differences in the diameter of the bore in the block and the spec of the pump. They have A, B, and C pumps from the factory though I think all the replacement pumps are A's. They all fit and work though it's just the diameter of the bore and clearance with the outer pump rotor..... I would suspect it's not assembled quite right or hanging up on something.

GD

And make sure the letter on the face of the star rotor and cylinder rotor that both spin are facing the same way. I think there is some sort of tolerance issue there, too, which could cause binding... I can't remember if the correct direction is towards the engine or away. Guys?

And make sure the letter on the face of the star rotor and cylinder rotor that both spin are facing the same way. I think there is some sort of tolerance issue there, too, which could cause binding... I can't remember if the correct direction is towards the engine or away. Guys?

That does remind me, I think the marking goes outwards (Towards the engine) I remember reading in my Chilton some time ago, how that could effect fitment.

Good call!

Well for some reason, with the engine upside down on the stand (oil pan up) it was binding during install. The binding was fairly noticeable when tensioning and releasing the longest bolt, like I could feel the pump being crooked/not on correctly as I applied light tension to that particular bolt near the end of it's thread. I spun the engine around, right side up, and then the pump went on perfectly...twice. Hard to say why but it's on there now and spinning just fine. Thanks for the input everyone.