Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Third Gear Problems

Hello. I have an '84 4x4 Hi/Lo Wagon lately i have been having troubles in third gear and only third gear. It will not seem to go into gear without grinding. Is this a common problem? Havent found much through the search button. Any tips or recomemndations on the matter? Thanks.

Yeah. That's a common issue with the 4 speed d/r. Third gear synchro always goes first. Most likely it will still drive for a very long time with no issues except grinding. But if you want to replace it you should get a 5 speed d/r tranny out of 85-89 GLs. Then contact bratsrus1. he makes a swap kit that makes this swap very easy.

Eventually you will loose the ability to get into 3rd all together if you cannot clear the grinding up.

The first thing I would do is check the fluid level.

If it is low, TOP IT OFF!

If it is topped off, Id drain it and give it a flush. Drain, refill, drive for a few hundred miles, then drain, refill again.

See if that helps at all. If not, you will either have to learn how to avoid grinding when you shift into 3rd, or you need to source another transmission.

Mine was grinding a bit in 3rd when I got it. A good flush combined with being a bit more patient when shifting (clutch in, wait.... then shift into 3rd) has cured the grinding all together.

It won't help. That's a normal failure mode for the 4 speed's. 3rd goes and the only fix is to replace the syncros. Which is not viable. Toss it and go to the five speed. Don't waste $40 on gear oil - it will just you will just end up spending more later on a tranny and more oil.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Here's a trick we use in GM/Muncie/Borg Warner transmissions and similar. Go get a small bottle of what is affectionately referred to as GM Limited Slip Axle Lubricant ADDITIVE or an equivalent manufacturers product (essentially a sperm oil mixture). Dump it down the trans oil check tube and drive it for a while. It may help a little or a lot depending on how bad your syncro's are. If it doesn't help at all, sounds like you'll be swapping trannys.

IMG_0995.JPG